Chapter 10 Bertia (16 years old)[3]

Start from the beginning

I'm fine as long as my fiancée doesn't have a hard time, and so long as I can arrange the circumstances in which she would be by my side and entertain me as always.

Besides that point, I don't have any interest in Baroness Heronia.

Aah, but, well, since she is also a citizen of this country, as the crown prince, I'd still have to do something to deal with her if she were to cause trouble for this country.

"For the moment, I will be reporting whenever she's acting fishy. ...And Kulgan, if she comes to you to enquire something again, can you deal with her appropriately in a thoughtful manner without giving any denial or affirmation?"

"Of course I won't affirm anything, but should I really not negate any of her unjust suspicions?"

Perhaps unable to grasp the intention behind my instruction, Kulgan furrowed his eyebrows and showed a perplexed expression.

Facing his reaction, I nodded and smiled as usual.

"Yeah, don't deny it as well. From what she can perceive from your reaction, I wonder what kind of movement she will make. That's what I want her to show me. ...Since Bertia and Marquis Noches haven't done anything shady, then there shouldn't be a problem, right?"

I gave a half-smile and sent Kulgan a profound gaze.

For the others, it might seem that my words earlier contained too little information to be executed, and they weren't able to surmise my intention. However, it seems what I wanted to say was conveyed well enough for Kulgan to understand with just that.

"I see. As expected of Your Highness! However, will my little sister... will Bertia-sama be exposed to any danger that way?"

Kulgan showed his cold and satisfactory expression, but the next moment, perhaps because he thought of Bertia, he slightly scowled in concern.

I don't really care on why he seemed to be worried... No, I do care, after all! Why did you address Bertia as [my little sister] just now?

Could it be that you've been addressing her like that deep inside your heart, and that it carelessly left your mouth just now?

...It might be necessary for me to find an opportunity to discuss this with him.

"I won't let my fiancée, Tia, be exposed to any danger. For that reason, we won't be attacking until [the very last moment]. Avoid provoking Baroness Heronia and just monitor her thoughts and movements for now. Even if she were to attack, it's important to just skillfully evade her attacks without making any counter attacks until that time. ...Fortunately, Bertia has agreed to promise me that she will increase her time with me, so all of you should use the same pretext to increase your time together with your beloved person. During the time when they can't be together with us, if you remind them to stay alert, the girls are smart so they will surely be able to protect one another, won't they?"

"With all due respect, the other noble girls might be like that, but I feel like if we try to warn Bertia-sama, she will react to the contrary and charge ahead..."
Kulgan smiled bitterly, and somehow that smile seems to be filled with warm affection.

Yes. I know Bertia very well. I think so, too.

...It's just, I wonder what I should think of this mood arising from him gazing lovingly at the actions of the cute little sister who's not that far apart from him in age?

She might be your little sister, but she isn't your lover or fiancée, okay?

"...That's right. I think so, too. That's why I'd be pleased if you could try to conceal this matter from Bertia, all right?"

Once I turned my eyes to take a glance at everyone inside the room one by one, all of them seriously nodded.

Because everyone here has been baptized by Bertia somehow, obviously they would understand the terrifying consequences of giving Bertia any excessive information.

(L: 洗礼を受けている → receive baptism... you serious dude??? | S: Omg Bertia XD)

...Because there have been occasions where she acts in a simple and pure manner without any good or bad intentions.

(L: To put it in harsh(?) words: she acts as she sees fit without even thinking of it? | S: yes exactly TvT)

"Well then, for the moment, unless Baroness Heronia moves in a very dangerous manner, just evade her temporarily and gather information while keenly observing her, okay? We shall hand down the final judgement... let's see, shall we set the timing as the graduation ceremony?"

From Bertia's talk about the [otome game] and according to the [scenario], surely Baroness Heronia will move at that time, right?

Still, there is no way I can talk about it with everyone here, so as long as I choose the time limit based on a plausible reason such as [I want to settle everything while we are still in the school as a third year students. That's why, I'm limiting the time to be at our graduation ceremony], they would agree without any suspicion.

After that, as long as we arrange the preparations until then... it would be sufficient to just wait for the other side to make their action while protecting Bertia.

Aah, of course, I shall have Kulgan operate in various ways for the sake of those preparations.

So that he won't have any opportunity to meet Bertia, of course he should be occupied.

"Now then, let's look forward to how it will turn out?"

As I smiled with a brisk feeling after deciding the rough [scenario], everyone who's present on the spot looked at me and smiled.

Why is it that, for some reason, those smiles seem very villainous?

...Well, should I conclude that it's just my imagination?