Chapter One

.  __________________________________________________

Chapter One

Emely Bower

Emely walks through the crowded halls of Anderson Secondary School with her head down and her gray eyes planted firmly on the cheep linoleum. She doesn't bother to tuck the smooth black hair creating blinders on either side of her face behind her ears. I anybody bumps into her they usually just keep walking without incident. Emely and her best friend Jackson Hunter were pretty much invisible.

Just as she's almost at the door of A317, her science class, Kaleb Spencer walks right into her and keeps going. If she were to pick a song to describe him, which she had, it would be 'Cowboy Casanova' by Carrie Underwood. He was stunningly gorgeous with his longish honey-brown hair, startling green eyes, and quarterback body. He also happened to have a reputation as a 'hit-'em-and ditch-'em' type of guy.

She could see Jackson getting angry and cringes internally as he reaches out and grabs the offenders wrist.

"Hey! Why don't you apologize?!" he nearly growled as Kaleb just kept walking.

<Just forget it, Jackie.> she quickly signs. Yes, sign language was her main form of communication. It's not that she can't talk, it's that she prefers to listen.

<Fine, Knight, but next time...> he shrugs and trail off with an exasperated sigh. <I just don't get why you let stuff like that go.> He uses her nickname in the same way she used his, to show that they weren't really angry at each other.

<listening, remember?> Emely replies.

Jackson just shakes his Head and tugs on the rolled up sleeve of her way to big plaid shirt, reminding her that they have to get to class.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Once the school day was over, they both climbed into Jackson's silver F150 and headed home. Emely lived with Jackson, and had for two years since her father died. Their dad's were best friends in high school and Sam (Emely's dad) had named Mark and Sophia (Jackson's parents) her legal guardians in case of his death. Not much had changed really, just that Emely didn't go home after dinner, as she had spent most of her time there anyway. Mark was a directer who split his time between L.A. and Vancouver, and Sophia was a successful lawyer so you could say they had money, but it wasn't flaunted. The house was average size, two story home with a finished basement.

The basement was mainly a music room, soundproofed and everything, but it also had a small workout room and a guest bedroom with an en suit tucked into the corner. The main level contained the kitchen, a small eating area, a formal dinning room, a living room, and a small powder room. The second floor housed three bedrooms. Emely's, Jackson's, and the Mark and Sophia's. Each room had it's own en suit bathroom and Emely's and Jackson's had a small hallway with a door on either end connecting their rooms.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"C'mon please Knight?" They were sitting in the basement munching on cookies after their small amounts of homework had been completed.

"Nobody has ever heard me sing before, Jackson!"

"that's not true. I have"

"But you're... you!"

"well thanks for clearing that up."

"You know what I mean." she deadpanned.

"Ms. Stewart thinks it'd be a good idea. Please? For my birthday?"

"fine Jackie" Emely said with a heavy sigh. Damn him and his puppy eyes.

Now it looked like they were going to be participating in the school talent show that raised money for cancer. Great. Not that she was against cancer research, just singing in front of people. She loved music and dance, but she only danced in public. No singing. Ever. Also Jackson had decided that we were going to need another person in the band, our band. The one we've had since we were twelve. That's five years of it being just us. Since I won't be able to play acoustic guitar, piano, and sing, we're going to need someone who can play either piano or guitar, preferably guitar though.

__________________________  

A/N: so there's the first chapter folks! 

< > refers to when characters are using sign language.   

If anyone would like to BETA this for me I would be incredibly grateful! 

Songs: 'Cowboy Casanova' by: Carrie Underwood ~  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9_k4xy2uPg