Chapter Twenty One

Start from the beginning

      His head turned towards the TV and I watched him. His shirt rested loosely over his torso, the fabric wrinkling and folding. My eyes rested at his collar, remembering the feeling of his skin. I didn't know why I'd done that, or even why I'd had the courage to. Somehow it had just happened. 

      David pushed himself lower into the couch, nearly laying all the way down. The urge to lay next to him fought inside me. I thought my feelings for Jareth may be boiling over onto David. Maybe it was just finally having time to rest that was pulling me towards him. Maybe it was the short hair. Maybe it was the jeans. 

      The thought that I'd never kissed Jareth came to me again. I wondered if it would be different than David. Not that I had any experience to base my expectations on. 

      David took another sip of beer. I wondered if he tasted like it. Turning back to me to say something, he stopped when he saw me staring. I blinked and looked to the TV, refusing to look back his way. I felt his eyes on me and rearranged my pillow, tugging at my shirt. Suddenly a thought hit me and I turned to him, "Do you know what we forgot to do?"

      He smiled into his beer, "Pay for the tickets?"

      Kicking him, I sat up, "Obviously, but we never got my clothes."

      His eyes caught on the clothes I was borrowing, "Oh yeah."

      I couldn't tell if his eyes lingered because as soon as I wondered, he looked up, "We can grab them tomorrow."

      Setting aside the pillow, I moved to kneel. I sat on my heels, "Or we can go tonight and while we're there we can grab one of my dad's cards for the tickets."

      David shifted, sitting up, "I don't know. I mean, we can go and grab your clothes but..."

      He trailed off, uncomfortable. I shrugged, "I'm sure it'll be fine."

      Unconvinced, he raised his eyebrows together. 

      "So maybe not fine," My eyes caught the TV before turning back to him, "But I kind of doubt you have the money for them."

      He scoffed at me, "What is that supposed to mean?"

      Pressing down a smile, I looked around, "I mean like, your place is super nice and everything-"

      A pillow flew across the couch, hitting me in the head. I turned to him, mouth open in fake astonishment. David laughed, "That's for talking crap about my apartment."

      "Oh yeah?" I grabbed the pillow he'd tossed at me, landing two solid whacks before he yanked it from me. Suddenly he was sitting up, and thudded me with it. I laughed dangerously, grabbing the pillow I'd set aside earlier, "Oh you better quit now."

      David paused, smile on his face. Raising my pillow in threat, I tried to be serious. Without warning, he swung the pillow into my face, a dull thud spreading over my nose. I jumped at him, "You jerk!"

      Pushing him onto his back, I planted myself on his stomach, thwacking him as squarely in the face as possible. He held his hands up, trying to defend himself, "Okay, okay!"

      Panting, I held the pillow to my chest, "Who's the winner?"

      David tried to give me a push, "Sarah, I can't breathe."

      He grunted as I gave a small jump, "Who's the winner?"

      His voice was strangled, "You are."

       Smiling, I climbed off him and he took a deep breath, "You're heavier than you look." 

      I lightly tossed my pillow at him, "Rude."