"We have to keep moving." He pulled her to her feet. "Are you hurt?"

She wriggled her toes. "No."

"Run as fast as you can."

They sprinted across the empty space and down the stairwell. She thanked God for all the training and muscle aches she had gone through over the last few months.

Nick pointed to a jeep and swung her in the same direction. "Get in."

"Key in the ignition, Lord." She jumped in and leaned over. "Thank you, Jesus!"

Nick got into the jeep and started it. "Seat belt," he said, and she barely got it over her before he slammed on the gas pedal.

She held onto the roof handle above her head as the car swerved to the side. The rubber tires screeched as Nick made a sharp turn, and there was no one in sight.

Nick's plan had worked. Everyone was still in the building.

Getting out of the place was simple. There was only one road, so they couldn't go wrong. "Kerri, see if you can find a phone or something."

She opened the glove compartment and pulled out a gun. She put the gun in her lap and pushed around the few pieces of paper. "Nothing."

"There's a bag in the back seat." Nick tried to reach over, but she stopped him.

She unbuckled her seat belt and twisted her torso to grab the black backpack. "Food, water ..." She rummaged through the bag. "And a phone!" She switched on the phone and called the police.

"This is 911."

"It worked!" She glanced at Nick and continued. "I'm Kerri Adams. Nick Evans and I were kidnapped after someone crashed into our car."

"Do you know your location?"

She took her eyes off the road ahead and turned to her side. Nothing on either side of the road. No landmarks. No street names.

Even if there were, she probably wouldn't be able to spot them. The only light source they had was from the headlights of the jeep they were in. She couldn't see much beyond the immediate road ahead. "No. I have no idea where we are. We're in a car right now. We're driving out."

"Is someone after you?" the operator asked. "Are you safe?"

"I'm sure they'll be right behind us."

"How many of them are there?"

"I don't know." She turned to Nick. "How many guys were there?"

"Five? I don't know. I didn't count."

"Stay on the line with me, Kerri. Keep driving, and I'll get the police officers to meet the two of you along the way."

She looked over her shoulder. "Do you think they'll come after us?" she asked Nick. After all, they might just go their own way to make sure they didn't get caught.

"It's all right, Kerri. Just stay on the line and keep driving."

"Maybe they won't come after us," she said.

But that was too good to be true. The next moment, reflection of headlights appeared in the rear-view mirror.

The roar of the engine grew louder, and Nick looked over at her again. "Seat belt, Kerri."

She complied immediately. Her shoulders were still aching from the previous crash. "They're behind us," she said into the phone, but she didn't bother to listen to the operator's reply. She set the phone down on the console and checked the gun's magazine while Nick pulled his seat belt over himself.