"i did, but mario told me it's a catch up and test make up day and we won't be discussing the book. he had martinelli earlier today."

katie yawns. "that's good. if i'm being honest i don't even remember the name of the book."

"a gentleman in moscow," i remind her. she just shrugs in response. her expression suddenly turns curious.

"you said mario. do you mean mario gotze?"

"yeah, him. do you know each other?"

she smirks. "you could say that. remember when i told you i went into the bathroom at leo's party with "a mario brother" and you didn't know what i meant?"

"i recall that, and i still don't know what that's supposed to mean." i tell her.

we finally reach the food window to order and pay.

"i'll have a grilled chicken salad with an ice water," kate sweetly says to the cashier, who says nothing in response and taps the screen in front of her. she turns her attention to me.

"and for you?"

"the fettuccini with a coca, please." she doesn't say anything back to me either. we move along the line, resuming our conversation.

"back to the 'mario brother' thing. that's still unclear to me." i say to her.

kate scoffs. "mario, like from mario and luigi."

"you say that like it's perfectly obvious."

"because it is?"

"not really, but okay."

"whatever! 'mario brother' equals mario gotze."

"good to know for the future," i reply. we take our lunch trays from the food window and walk off to our usual eating spot in the hallway.

⚽️ ⚽️ ⚽️

"NO MATTER WHERE I GO, I'M ALWAYS GONNA WANT YOU BACK," i sing at the top of my lungs.

"NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU'RE GONE, I'M ALWAYS GONNA WANT YOU BACK," katelin sings, taking the next line. we're driving down the motorway in her roofless jeep wrangler and listening to the youngblood album from 5 seconds of summer. it's moments like this when i'm really glad she's my best friend.

she turns the volume way down. "so, do i need to grow a pair of eyes or were you ogling at paulo dybala again?"

i snort. "can you blame me? i mean, he's practically fucking perfect."

"yeah, he's okay," she replies, giving her shoulders a shrug and staring straight ahead of the motorway.

"'okay'? really? that's it? how can you not see what an absolute god he is?"

"eh, he's just not my type."

i scoff at what she just said as i turn my head to look out to the side. i decide to interrogate kate.

"okay then, who is?"

she pauses before saying, "nobody in particular."

oh, nun uh.

"oh, bullshit. not true."

"i'm telling the truth!" she protests.

"please, you're like the original boy-crazy girl. you never go to a party without hooking up with someone."

"say what you want, but just know i have a higher hormone level than normal." katelin replies, using one hand to adjust her sunglasses and the other hand to steer. after that the music is the only sound containing words in the car for a while before she starts talking again.

"hey, are you going to the party at philippe's tonight?"

"coutinho?" i ask.

"no shit, who else?"

"yeah, sure, why not? i could use a night out."

"cool. i was going to make you go either way. besties don't let besties spend friday night alone." i roll my eyes at her.

"thanks sweetheart," i say in a "loving" tone that's dripping with sarcasm in reality.

"anytime, boo," she replies, copying my voice.

"do you think paulo will be there?" i suddenly ask.

"duh, everyone will be there." she pulls into my driveway.

"then we have to make a good appearance," i declare, hopping out of the jeep. she gives me a devilish look as if she had read my mind and follows me inside my house.

⚽️ ⚽️ ⚽️

hey hey! yes, i know this chapter was super short. it was definitely more of an opener. the chapters to come will be longer.

cheers to another book! xx  - anya :)