White Sky

So....this part has some minor elluding to self-harm...but that's about it. Oh, and a bit of swearing. XD Anywho...I hope you like this chapter, named after the song by Vampire Weekend. All my chapters will be song titles, I just feel it fits. XP

Enjoy, and I hope it's not starting out too slow for you! It will pick up, I promise!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The weather in LA today was surprisingly mild, for being beginning of summer. A Dense fog had settled through the streets, muffling the atmosphere and suppressing the noises of far-away traffic. Graffiti littered the walls as a woman, around nineteen years of age sped down the street in a pair of roller skates. She had ear buds in as she hummed along to whatever song was playing while holding a stack of newspapers and flyers, on her back a canvas backpack that was full…demonstrated in the way it bounced against her back. She turned a corner quickly and within a few moments found herself out of the dirty slums in a more upscale portion of LA. The streets were still unusually quiet, but she paid no mind.

A few more blocks found her stopping in front of a line of store fronts. She rolled up to one in particular that had a logo which was a circle with all four card suits in it, around it was the name of the place, “The Ace of Spades: Natural and Organic Drinks”. She swung open the door and was instantly hit with the warm air and the sound of a blender already working hard. She grinned as she made her way down the ramp that led into the actual café area. She stopped right before she hit the counter to find her boss, and coach, already in the kitchen area making…something.

“Hey Stan.” She called out to him, dropping the stack of papers and flyers on the counter, before leaning over it to grab an apron. She pulled off her backpack and made her way over to a bar that was butted against the wall, behind it were a few hanging lights, and rows upon rows of ingredients on shelves and in glass refrigerators.

The man looked over at her, before taking in her attire, giving her the look of hard judgment. (Though he really had no room to judge with his tie-dyed bandanna and dreadlocks pulled up into a ponytail.) “You better be changing before starting work today, Bunny.” He said while finishing with the blender and pouring the concoction into a cup. He took a sip of it before leaning against the counter-top.

Bunny rolled her eyes before lifting up the backpack. “Of course I am, I’m not gonna serve customers in my roller skates. Ya dick.” She glared at him, and stuck her tongue out. He just rolled his eyes.

“Then go get changed.” He gestured to the employee bathroom that was in the corner of the building. She just rolled her eyes at him and skated over to it. “Did you get the papers?!” he shouted at her before she could close the door.

She popped her head out shouted back, “Of course! They’re on the counter! I picked up the new fliers too!” she said before slamming the door shut. Stan just snorted before going to the register counter and found the stack of papers, he pulled out one of the flyers that was sitting on top and looked it over.

Meanwhile, Bunny was stripping out of the shorts and sweatshirt she had come in with, her roller skates discarded by the toilet. She reached into her back pack and pulled out a pair of floral Vans and a pair of leggings with zippers at the ankles. She pulled them up her bare legs, moving them slowly over the bruises that decorated her legs, and the scars and cuts that painted her upper thighs and waist. She stood up and looked at her body in the mirror as she pulled out a tank top that had the Vampire Weekend Floral pattern on it and the name of the band. Over that she slipped on a gray knit sweater and a few bangles and leather bracelets adorned her wrists, covering more scars and burns. She sighed when she felt the material settle against them, things were getting bad again, that was for sure. She finished changing by pulling her hair out of the beanie she had been wearing. It fell down and framed her face easily making her glad she had straightened it earlier. The black and lilac strands contrasted greatly as she fluffed it a little bit and shoved her practice cloths in the bag.

She tied the laces of her skates together and hooked them onto a buckle on her bag before running out of the bathroom and threw her stuff in the closet, where Sans own skates were. “Hey Stan! Is Mo coming in today?” she asked while walking up to the counter where the man was tacking up the flyers and a poster.

“Mo? No…I don’t think so. Not today.” He said while backing away. On the way was now the flyers for the upcoming roller derby match, a girl from one of the other teams had her hands on her hips while another was right behind her. Around it were a few other flyers with similar pictures of different girls for different dates. Along with those were a few posters for bands and concerts coming up, one of those including an acoustic gig by the band 5 Seconds of Summer. The Concert wasn’t part of their tour, but they decided to do one for the fans.

Bunny smiled as she admired the posters, wanting to take some of them home to add to her wall of them above her bed. She shrugged before pulling out her phone and checking the time. “You know we should be opening now…right?” she asked, seeing that it was almost ten minutes past their opening time.

Stan rolled his eyes before walking away, “Go ahead then Ms. Know-it-all. Be my guest.” He grumbled before grabbing his drink and walking away. Bunny huffed before quickly running up the ramp and unlocking the doors and flipping the signs to open. She grabbed the chalk-board sign and placed it out on the sidewalk, with the colorful chalk stating some weird facts of the day with some of the ingredients they put in their smoothies. She made her way back into the bar and over to where she had thrown her backpack. She grabbed her wallet out of one of the pockets and made her way to the cash register so she could by her own smoothie to keep her going. She quickly made her selection (A drink called “White Sky”—so name for the coconut meat and water placed in it) before she made it for herself. She took a sip and sat down on one of the couches, in the corner, pulling out one her phone as she slowly slurped on the straw.

Now it was time to just wait for the rush.