Chapter 19 - Numb

Start from the beginning

He opened his mouth, and I turned my cheek so that the bruise I had forgotten to cover up was not facing him, hoping that he'd forgotten what had happened just a few hours ago. And then maybe deciding better, he closed his mouth and his arm brushed against mine as he left. I wasn't sure if I was relieved or disappointed that he didn't ask.

"Kaylee?" Dr. Joseph's voice rang out from inside the room. I almost didn't even hear him because I was concentrated on watching Will's retreating back.

I stepped in and closed the door finally when he disappeared out of the building.

Dr. Joseph was shuffling some papers on his desk when I walked in. He set them down though when I sat down.

He seemed tired for some reason today. Older too, maybe for the same reason. I wondered if Will had anything to do with it.

Shoving his glasses back up the bridge of his nose, he began the day off with, "Why don't you start off with why you couldn't come last week?" Then he paused and seemed to rethink his question. He seemed to be trying hard not to stare at the large lumpy bruise on one side of my face. I could feel the awkward tension in the room today.

I was about to respond when I realized I didn't have anything with me that I could write on. But seeming to read my mind, Dr. Joseph pulled out some Post-It notes and pushed them towards me along with the pen.

I tried to think up a lie or something that was good enough to pass off as an excuse as I set the pen's ink tip down on the note. But the only thing I came up with was: I was sick.

I looked up just in time to see Dr. Joseph nodding his head. "That's what your friend Chance came in saying, too, as well, last week, I believe." I sighed in relief, silently thanking Chance and the gods above that we both gave the same answer.

The rest of the appointment went by unbelievably slow with me just answering blindly one question after the other. I didn't know how long that went on or whether Dr. Joseph and I were even paying attention to anything. Until he asked me the question I had been dreading since the moment I stepped through the door.

"Kaylee, would you like to explain where you got that bruise--" I was beginning to panic when the closed door burst open just at the moment and Louis came barreling in. He took us both by surprise and I think we both jumped in our chairs.

"Kaylee, I thought I told you that if he touched you I would-" He bent down close to me and turned my face gently as to not hurt me. "Damn it," he cursed. "I am going to kill that b-" Dr. Joseph cleared his throat. And maybe noticing him there for the first time since he came in here, Louis stuck out his hand and said surprisingly, "I"m Louis," and shook Dr. Joseph's stunned hand. Louis then looked back at me once before leaving, saying, "This isn't over yet. I'm going to wait outside." The door slammed shut behind him. I could feel my face turn red as I turned my attention back to Dr. Joseph.

He was quiet for a moment, thinking, and then he spoke up. "I suppose you have something important to discuss between the two of you. So how about we cut this appointment short today?" I could feel relief flood into me. After saying a quick goodbye, I quickly walked out of the room and into the hallway, where Louis was leaning against the wall waiting for me. He seemed be occupied with his phone though. He was still grinning down at it when I saw him, but he put it away quickly when I walked over. Was it Will he was texting?

"Hi," he said, seeming calmer than a minute ago. I leaned against the wall beside him and nodded to acknowledge him. A second passed before he asked, sighing as he did so, "Did he hurt you?" I turned slightly at his words, and he added, "Besides you-know-what..." he trailed off, waving at the purple bruise.