Chapter 24

I watch over the doctor’s shoulder as he shines a light in Caellum’s eyes and trying to get him to track it and prodding his arms and legs trying to get a reaction.

“Why isn’t he responding?” I ask. The doctor glances over his shoulder a flash of annoyance crossing his expression at my hovering. I take a step back to give him room to work and he turns back to Caellum before responding.

“Coming out of a coma takes time. It’s not like they show in the movies where one second they’re out, the next they are awake talking with their family.” He explains. “The fact that his eyes are open is a good sign though. It tells us he is emerging, in the next few hours to days he’ll start responding to stimuli like tracking the light or squeezing a finger. And over time he’ll become more and more aware of his surroundings.” I nod bouncing nervously on my toes as I look at him over the doctor’s shoulder. I’d been waiting so long for this moment. For Caellum to wake up. To hear him say my name again. It was hard to wait even another few hours. Suddenly, the door burst open and a frantic Uncle Simon was standing in the door.

“What’s going on? I got a call from the hospital. Is Caellum alright?” he asks panicked. A grin splits my face as I throw myself into his arms.

“He’s waking up” I say excitedly. “He opened his eyes. The doctor says he’ll be alright” Uncle Simon releases a sigh of relief, his shoulders relaxing as he hugs me back.

“You would think they’d have told me on the phone” he grumbles. “Prevent a heart attack” I grin, stepping back when I hear a chuckle behind Uncle Simon. I peek out behind him and see Harry standing there still in his bakery apron.

“What are you doing here?” I ask with a laugh.

“I was at the bakery when I got the call” Uncle Simon explains. “I wasn’t sure if you wanted him here or not after everything” he says gesturing vaguely. “But he was determined to come. When I tried to leave him at the bakery, he started running after the car so after half a mile I finally stopped and let him in” I let out a laugh as Harry shrugs, a sheepish grin on his face.

“I didn’t know what was going on and I wanted to be here for you if it was something bad.”

“It’s not bad new this time,” I say with a smile hugging him tightly. “He’s waking up” I say happily against his chest.

“I guess you two got things sorted” Uncle Simon remarks. I pull away from Harry to look at Uncle Simon and nod with a smile, keeping my arms wrapped around Harry’s waist.

“Guess this means I’ll have to find someone else to scrub out the ovens” he mutters under his breath. Harry chuckles pulling me against his side.

“I guess that’s the benefit of dating the bosses niece,” he says jokingly.

“I knew there was an ulterior motive” I say teasingly, in a good spirit because of Caellum. Uncle Simon chuckles, shaking his head at our banter.

“I’m going to go find that doctor, see what this all means for bringing him home” Uncle Simon says walking out of the room. I lean my head back against Harry’s chest, looking at the hospital bed, not able to keep away the smile that was splitting my face.

I let out a yawn, my head slipping from my hand for the fourth time in the last twenty minutes as I jolt awake. I hear Harry chuckle from his spot sitting on the floor against the wall. “I think you’re a little tired,” he says with a smirk. My only response is another yawn as I rest my head back in my hands, leaning against Caellum’s bed.