31. finally

The unforgiving fluorescence of unread notifications stings my eyes. What I intend to be a mere glance lengthens from the swirling sphere of dread in the pit of my stomach. University emails compose most of the clutter, but even those are capable of filling me with discomfort. Swiping them will let me harbor eternal procrastination, but leaving them will plague me every time I awaken the screen.

"Aagh, this is bullshit," I scowl at the sight before tossing the little bastard on my bed. "Now isn't the time to succumb to social anxiety, hm?" I reply to myself with a small grunt as I finish towel-drying.

Funny how that sounds kind of like something he would say.

In hopes of fixing the blossoming blush on my face, I flash another frown at my phone and snatch it up once more to slip it into a fresh skirt pocket. I lift the neckline of my shirt and smell not much of anything, which is far better than before.

My room's atmosphere seems lighter, as well. Maybe the forest did me a favor.

Part of me wants to deliberate on how differently that entire ordeal could've gone if I had access to communication, but I try to mantra that it's not worth the self-deprecation. Von might've been waiting from the beginning. Waiting for me to claw toward freedom, only to shatter the mirage once I got too close. Even if I contacted the authorities, what would've happened? For one, neither Von nor Arya would've admired the scenery while I called the cops. That, alone, is enough of a reason to dismiss the thought, but how fast would help have reached me? Was there a way for me to describe the situation without sounding like I'm battling psychosis? Would I have stayed stubborn and determined to save myself, whether or not the phone was within reach? There's just...

A sudden and immediate loss of saliva makes me nearly trip from the last stair step.

There's no fucking way, right? It's not like I left the house...

I follow a questionable sound into the kitchen area to find Lalo staring back with a blank expression.

"Achoo," he proclaims in monotone. "Those were my allergies."

"BULL-" breathe in, "-SHIT."

"Hm?"

"You know what that sounded like!"

"Aww..." he places a hand on his hip and uses the other to boop various objects on the counter beside him. "What were you hoping to witness?"

I shove an index finger cross in his direction, and he retaliates with a shoo-shoo motion.

"Careful not to burn yourself with that. You were the one thinking you'd catch me being indecent." In contrast to his arrogant posture, he speaks with an affectionate tune, "And how can you try to look mad when you have such a beautiful smile on your face?"

"That's not fair," my arms fold tight to my torso. "It's too real if you don't play along with me."

"If I don't..." he wrings his wrists for a pause and nods. "How cognizant of you. Though, I do think I've made myself more than clear when it comes to that. It's not like I'm done with teasing you and joking around with you, but I'm done with acting like it's a joke."

My reluctance to reply flusters him.

"W-Was that too much? I just feel so great right now, overall. We're finally alone together, and I want to make the most of it. I'm not trying to-"

"What's the point of being direct if you're going to draw back the moment I get uncomfortable?"

It seems we're both surprised by the steadiness in my voice. However, his head lowers as a knowing hesitance etches into his features. He doesn't find his words quickly, but he's calm when they come.