The Doctor Dances

The patients were at touching distance, they were done for. Nothing could save them. The Doctor couldn't even save them. They were dead.

However, the Doctor frowned, stepping towards them. "Go to your room." Suddenly, every patient stood still. It was as if they were alarmed, like a timid child.

He spoke again. "Go to your room. I mean it. I'm very, very angry with you. I am very, very cross. Go to your room!"

As if on command, they all turned their heads to the side in shame and shuffled back to their original positions. They stepped back into the light, just as they laid back on their beds and appeared to go to sleep immediately.

"I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words." He joked.

Willow was still quite confused about what had just occurred. "What did you do?"

"Sent them to their rooms, which is their original positions." The Doctor explained.

"I thought we were going to end up like them for a moment."

Rose, Jack and Willow wandered around the patients for a bit, inspecting them. She raised her eyebrows. "Why are they all wearing gas masks?"

"They're not." Jack commented. "Those masks are flesh and bone."

"How was your con supposed to work?" The Doctor asked, changing the subject once again to Jack's dismay.

"Simple enough, really. Find some harmless piece of space junk, let the nearest Time Agent track it back to Earth, convince him it's valuable, name a price." He clarified, discussing how he almost got away with it. "When he's put fifty percent up front, oops! A German bomb falls on it, destroys it forever. He never gets to see what he's paid for; never knows he's been had. I buy him a drink with his own money, and we discuss dumb luck. The perfect self-cleaning con."

It's official. Captain Jack Harkness is a sweet-talking arse who only cares about himself. Willow was wrong to trust him.

"Yeah. Perfect." The Doctor said in a sarcastic manner.

"The London Blitz is great for self-cleaners. Pompeii's nice if you want to make a vacation of it though, but you've got to set your alarm for volcano day. Getting a hint of disapproval."

The Doctor grew annoyed of this man very quickly. "Take a look around the room. This is what your harmless piece of space-junk did."

"It was a burnt-out medical transporter. It was empty." He argued in return.

He shook his head in disagreement and started to head for the door "Rose. Willow." He beckoned them to follow.

"Are we getting out of here?" She questioned him.

"We're going upstairs."

Jack swallowed and stormed up to them, still talking about his reason for the con "I even programmed the flight computer so it wouldn't land on anything living. I harmed no-one. I don't know what's happening here, but believe me, I had nothing to do with it."

"I'll tell you what's happening." He glanced at him, his face in a form of rage. "You forgot to set your alarm clock. It's volcano day."

All of a sudden, a siren went off that alarmed them. Rose's face frowned in confusion. "What's that?"

"The all clear." Jack told her.

The Doctor rolled his eyes, opening the doors. "I wish."

And with that last sentence; the group left the ward and headed down the hospital hallway.