“Everywhere?” Nicolette repeated in astonishment. “What were they doing?”

“You said there was a fight?” Anne prompted patiently. I nodded. “Who started it? Tell me what happened next.”

I paused and smiled as I thought back. “I think they were there to stop a duel, but the duelists took exception,” I told her. “I recognized three of the men. They used to be Musketeers. Athos, Porthos-.”

“And Aramis,” Anne finished, nodding. She smiled. “Of course it was them.”

“And there was a someone else with them. A Gascon...boy. D’Artagnan, he said was his name,” I said, choosing my words carefully. The other ladies in waiting had gathered around, listening to every word. “He lunged at the cardinal’s men and took them all on alone.”

Anne frowned. “But Aramis, Porthos, and Athos were there,” she said. “Didn’t they do anything? It doesn’t seem like them to let a boy fight alone.”

“How many guards were there?” Benita asked.

“What is this D’Artagnan like?” Nicolette asked at the same time.

Nicolette’s question did not make me jealous. Not one bit. “There must have been a hundred of them!” I told Benita, determined to ignore Nicolette. I paused. “Well, maybe fifty. It was incredible. D’Artagnan...the Gascon boy he grabbed the rope on a crane and swung through the air, knocking over guards one by one.”

Everyone edged closer as I talked. “Constance, what about the musketeers?” Anne asked, her tone becoming impatient. “What were they doing while this boy defeated a hundred men?”

“D’Artagnan became surrounded,” I said, warming to my tale. I leaned against the table, hoping Anne didn’t mind. She didn’t say anything as I continued, “And that’s when the other three finally stepped in. They broke through the line of guards and stood back to back with D’Artagnan. And Rochefort gave the order to kill them all.”

Holding up her hand, Anne shook her head. “Captain Rochefort was there too?” she asked. 

“Yes, and after he gave the order to kill them, he rode away,” I said. Anne frowned thoughtfully. When she said nothing else, I went on, “There were only four of them but the Cardinal’s men had no chance. Right in front of me, D’Artagnan defeated Jusssac.”

“Jussac is dead?” Nicolette demanded, her tone horrified.

Christine turned to her. “Disappointed?” she asked, her tone mocking. “I thought you weren’t interested in anyone who wasn’t a great, rich nobleman.”

Nicolette glared at Christine and refused to say anything. “So, tell us about this D’Artagnan,” Dolores, another lady from Spain, said, her brown eyes bright with interest. “You’ve mentioned him many times.”

“Oh, he’s just a country boy who thinks more of himself than he should,” I answered, with a  shrug. 

Looking up, Anne laughed softly. “Is that so?” she said. Before I could defend myself, she stood up. “Thank you, Constance. This is interesting.”

“The Cardinal is going to be furious,” Benita spoke up, her tone thoughtful. We all looked at her. “Four men, three of whom are former musketeers, defeating so many of his men will not look good, especially with so many calling for the musketeer corps to be reinstated.”

Seriously, Anne nodded. “That’s true, Benita,” she agreed. “In fact, I have the feeling that very soon the Cardinal is going to have those four men in front of the king to be punished. They were dueling, even thought the king has forbidden it, so punishment will be quite right.”