39. Azalea

I wake up the next morning with Karma next to me. Her fingers are in my hair, like she fell asleep playing with it. It is maybe one in the afternoon. We got back from the whole satellite incident about five hours ago.

We go and tell the officers what happened, but they already know most of it from Fifi, and Karma tells them her side of the story. I tell them that basically, we were going, we got shot, we put our suits on, and we got rescued. They ask a bunch of questions I don't really know how to answer, so I go back to my room while they talk to Karma. They also tell me that Fifi and Karma left Harold on the strange satellite and they went back to get him, and when he came back he couldn't remember anything.

Karma is in the hot tub, and she is just in her underwear. I put a bathing suit on and hop in with her.

She hugs me, and I have to pull away. She isn't wearing a lot. I sit down on the bench and turn on the bubbles. I exhale, and Karma sits down right next to me. Does she not know anything about the concept of personal space?

She puts her arm on the edge of the hot tub. It's slightly around me, but not actually touching. I can't handle it anymore. I scoot over.

"What's wrong?" Karma asks.

"What?" I ask, surprised.

"You keep moving away from me."

"You're very... physical."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You're always touching me and maybe you shouldn't. It makes me uncomfortable."

"Why would it make you uncomfortable? It's not like I'm trying to like... get it on or something. Hugging is a normal thing to do."

She really doesn't get it.

"Karma," I say. "It just makes me uncomfortable, okay. I can't-"

"Azalea, I need physical comfort. I miss my boyfriend so much, and I am just aching for physical contact."

"Karma, maybe you should find someone else to spoon."

"I thought you would understand, you are my best friend here!"

"Karma, I'm a lesbian. I am the gayest girl here. I have never even glanced at a boy in my whole life. Now does it make sense why I am uncomfortable?"

"What the hell?! Why didn't you tell me?!"

"Because it didn't seem like something my roommate who I share a bed with needed to know."

"Oh. Ok. Alright. That's cool... I guess."

She gets up out of the tub, sweeping back her hair. Maybe I shouldn't have told her. But hey, maybe she will stop her weird maybe-flirting. I sit in the hot tub until my hands get that raisin texture that happens when you are in water for a long time.

Karma showers for a really long time. She opens the door and comes out with only her towel on. She sees me and yelps, clutching the towel tighter around her. It's probably the thing that has offended me most out of everything that has happened in my life. She goes into the closet, puts on pyjamas, and gets into bed.

I feel really awkward, so I don't get out of the tub, even though I have been in there way too long and I feel kind of woozy.

Then there is a knock on the door. Karma grunts, "I'll get it."

It's Fifi. She tiptoes in and mumbles something about a weird smell in her room. She is only wearing a sweater that is too long to be a top and too short to be a dress. She crawls into bed with Karma. And Karma wraps her arms around her. Like I wasn't already feeling crappy enough. I hate homophobes.

They watch TV. I wonder how Karma could possibly trust her after the gun thing. I finally get out of the hot tub, and I put on some hand-me-down shorts from my brother. I have been told that they are incredibly unstylish, by Fifi herself, but I am beyond caring.

I throw on a sweatshirt over my bra and walk out into the hall. I go into the fitness area. I am surprised to see Harold there. He glares at me.

"Hey," I grunt. "I just want to burn off some steam."

"Well, I'm here to get ripped, so..." he trails off. "I shouldn't have said anything. Don't laugh."

"What do you think I am, an asshole?"

"Khan is."

"What did he do?"

"He laughed when I couldn't pick up our coffee table and told me to go get some muscles. Then I said I was, and he laughed in my face."

"Want me to punch him?" I have had enough of people thinking they are better than other people.

"Why are you so pissed?"

Might as well just tell him too. "I came out to Karma and she was an ass about it."

"Well... do you want me to tell you something that you don't want to hear?"

"No," I say. "I really don't."

"I think I should tell you anyway. I don't blame her. She has gotten so comfortable around you, and then you totally threw her off. Especially because you guys are roommates. She's probably totally insecure. You should give her a break."

I think about it for a minute. "I didn't really want to hear that. But I sorta see what your saying."

"Also, maybe telling her was a pretty stupid idea. It's going to be really weird between you guys for a while. I mean, I'm never gonna tell Khan how hot he is."

"What?!"

"Again, should have never said anything."

"Oh, god do you like him?!"

"No, not like like, he's just attractive, you know? Hold on, why should I trust you."

"I literally just came out to you, and it's only you and Karma that know."

"You didn't actually come out, you just told me you came out to Karma."

"Well, I'm a lesbian. So what about Khan?"

"Nah I don't like him, he's a jerk. And into Christina. I just think he's attractive, that's all."

"I think you kind of like him. Otherwise, why are you so mad when he's mean to you?"

He doesn't answer me. I can read him so well.

"Well, good luck with that. But I don't think..." I trail off. I don't know if this little bit of information is true, and I am sure that Khan wouldn't want me to share.

"You don't think what?"

"Well... I uh forgot." I'm a crappy liar. But he doesn't pry.

"Let's work out," he says. And we hit the weights.