Chapter 5- Suspicion

See end of chapter for notes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Hunk knew that physics were physics, and no one could change that. What he didn't know, and what physics couldn't seem to explain, was why his friends were missing, why they were stuck on a VERY broken ship... and why the lights he fixed hadn't turned on. For some reason, this last thought bothered him more than anything else.

He was an engineer, and a very good one if he did say so himself; he knew for a fact that as soon as he fixed the power grid, the lights should have come back on instantly. It shouldn't have taken 5 minutes for the system to get up and running. It didn't make sense. Of course, maybe there was a bad connection somewhere, but... Hunk shook himself. No! Something was going on with the Castle of Lions, and he was going to find out what it was.

He looked at his watch and groaned. He had been awake for over 24 hours now, walking back and forth across the ship, eating food goo (even after fixing the power grid, it was still the only thing in the kitchen that worked) and listening to Coran's Altean curses and swearwords. He was pretty sure his vocabulary had expanded by 10%. He might even be able to give Lance a run for his money now.

He looked over towards Coran, who was typing furiously on a data pad. The Altean wore a worried frown, and his eyebrows were furrowed in deep concentration. There was a strange beeping sound from the data pad, and Coran's shoulders slumped in defeat, his pointed ears drooping slightly. He sighed wearily, taking a seat on the ground, and Hunk considered reminding the older man of how hard it was for him to get up the last time he sat on the floor. But Coran looked so tired and worn out that Hunk just let him sit there; he would help him up later.

"Hey, Coran, how likely is it that there was a delay in the power line after I reconnected it?"

Coran twisted his mustache thoughtfully, his mouth quirked to one side. "Well, that does sound most unlikely indeed. I've never experienced any such problems with the ship before. Why do you ask?"

Hunk raised an eyebrow. "Uh, the lights and power and stuff didn't turn back on right away, remember?"

Coran blinked a couple of times, his face blank. "Well... Oh yes, I remember now! To be quite honest, I haven't the foggiest idea as to why that happened... It might not have been something you did at all. Maybe it was caused by my tinkering with this control panel... The main power grid is connected to it, after all." The yellow paladin nodded, but still... something about Coran's theory sounded... off...

However, the advisor's suggestion that it might not have been caused by something on his end made a light go off in Hunk's head. What if...

A frown crossed Hunk's face and he crossed his arms, resting his chin in one hand with a thoughtful air. It was wild... Wild, but possible...

"Gah!! This is infuriating!!" Pidge flopped down on her back, staring up at the ceiling.

Kieth walked over to her, staring at the mess of tangled wires. He winced. "Oh my-- Pidge, how long have you been working on this?"

Pidge sat upright again, scratching her head. "I don't know. I must have been working on it for at least 2 hours."

"No offense, but I think you made it worse..."

The green paladin frowned, glaring with half closed eyes up at the raven haired teen.

"Woooow. Thank you so much for that encouraging pep talk, Kieth, I really needed that." She groaned, falling on her back again, while Kieth tried to make out the mess of wires. Like she had been doing however, he just stared.