11

love?
an abstract concept.
held together by the ideals we have for the one we're meant to be with for all time.
the feeling?
an unbeatable force, that one cannot prevent nor help.
love.
a true feeling.
———

"okay." i slung my backpack over my shoulder as i turned from tyler and chris and headed for jeffersons front doors. my eyes meet with none other than cyrus, who was undoubtedly going the same way. he's walking with andi (mack?) and buffy.

they stop at andi's locker–i assume–and start talking. i see this as an obvious opportunity.

i walk up to the three slowly, before realizing, i have nothing to say.

"uh." i blurt out. cyrus looks up at me. he smiles and takes a step towards me. "hey." i add. "hey there." he says, wrapping me in a hug. "you didn't text me." he whispers into my shirt. "i–i know. sorry."

sorry.

i'm so sorry cyrus.

"hey it's okay," he pulls away and leans against the locker once again. "look, i want to be straight up with you cyrus. i'm in a lot of trouble." his brow raises. "what do you mean?" he asks. "i mean... i'm in trouble. big trouble."

"what happened?"

"my–my–can we... talk privately cy?"

"yeah, of course."

we walk out of the school and to the park. "andi and buffy don't mind us do they?" i ask.

"they don't even know."

"oh."

"i don't want them to know until we crack down on... you know who."

"jonah?"

"yeah. him. plus, we aren't... anything. yet."

"yet?"

"well, teej, you haven't asked me out or anything..."

"you're right..."

he frowns to himself.

"cyrus, wanna go out?"

he turns to me, "of course i do."

"cool."

after a few minutes we arrive, heading towards the swings. he sways back and forth for a matter of minutes, before turning back and saying "what happened teej?"

"my... dad."

he looks at me.

"he beat me. again."

8:58pm

cyrus begged me to stay with him for the night. begged. and when i said why? he said, "you're getting beat. you're telling me you want to stay home until he leaves?" and i shook my head and stood close to him.

he called his mom, and from what i can tell right now, he's telling her about my situation. "mom, thank you." he said happily. "teej she and my step dad–" i grab the phone from out of his hands. he gives me a shocked look. "th–thank you, mrs. goodman, thank you so much."