Her last breaths

I sit here next to Merry Hilton my 71 year old wife, I think about our decades of marriage and how we spent it. Did we spend enough time together. Did we go on enough trips. These are the questions I ask myself. As I slowly wrap my hands around one of hers, I close my eyes to listen to a combination of beeping machines, chatting nurses and doctors but most importantly her deep painful breaths, one after another.
She looks weak although in her sleep she remains and will continue to be the most beautiful woman I had ever met.

It was the 11th of June, 2001, and we were partying at a friends house celebrating his engagement to his wife who later divorced him. She was 21 years old wearing Blue Jeans and a bright pink shirt along with black ankle high boots. I first laid my eyes on her at the home made bar that Oscar made a few years back. I sat a couple chairs away but eventually everyone made their way to the dance floor, leaving just the two of us.
From there we talked the night away, not wanting to leave each others side for a minute. That was one of the best days of my life.

The door swiftly opens as our designated nurse, miss brown walks in with her clip board to check the machines. She spots me.
" sir, would you like anything to eat,you have been here all day. If you like, there's a cafe downstairs if you wish to purchase anything. "
I look up, to see a worried look in her eyes. So I reply.
"no thank, I ate before I came"
That was a lie.
"OK, but if you get hungry just keep that in mind. "
I hear her close the door then turn to face dear Merry. What happened to her, once she was laughing and dancing her way through life but now it's all caught up to her.

I remember the very best day of my life when she was filled with excitement and anticipation. It was indeed our wedding day.