Surreal series:A Eve Harris Tale

Start from the beginning

It was somewhere between the cycling that Steve piped up again as the wind brushed through his long bronze like hair that look like they were spun by gold.

"There is a disturbance in the valley." he spoke audibly and freely,

I couldn't reply him because if I opened my mouth I might end up with an insect in there.

"I'm so not getting involved in this...AGAIN!..." I stated at the same time spitting continuously something that looked like a fire fly.

I felt rather than saw Steve's disappointment, but ignored it. its one thing having a spirit guide and talking to other spirits but its entirely another to get involved.

"So, how are you feeling?" this came from mum seated opposite the breakfast table dressed in a vibrant purple suit that I particularly find distasteful

Dad was equally dressed for another day in the office but thankfully nothing as colour blinding as mum, he at least wore the sharp bulky grey suite and simple yet elegant red tie with stripes to go with it.

I look more like my dad than my mum, my mum is not the slimmest of mums but healthy with blue piercing eyes and straight nose but wide mouth that kinda look like Julia Robert's.

My dad was no George Clooney either or Brad Pitt, he was big, like in muscled from all the extra time he spends in the gym from all those clubs. When you see him at first you'd think he is a bouncer which kinda helped in stopping people picking on me. My dad is big built but surprisingly gentle when it comes to icky situations.

What I meant to say is that I have my dad's vibrant green eyes with specks of blue at the edges, firm but soft lips and small but prominent nose. I wasn't that bad. I mean, I'm sure I'm not the only one in the family with this unusual dark hair that's also shoulder length and though I'm not chubby some would accuse me of being scrawny.

"Ok, I'm going now." Dad rushed his hand briefly through his pale blond hair and gave my mum a peck on the cheek.

"I'm coming too." mum also hastily got up and picked up her keys.

"Don't be late for school." were her parting words as the front door slummed.

"She won't." came Steve's voice by the counter as he flicked through today's news paper.

Steve always seem to appear wearing the same thing, but oddly enough it was stone washed jeans and an "I LOVE ROCK" tee-shirt inscribed in red over a black background.

"Haven't you got something better to do?" I asked between eating my cereal, not particularly caring to hear the answer.

"Well since you mentioned it," Steve turned to me his soft brown eyes filling with mischief,

"Summer break is round the corner, like next week." his gaze never left mine.

"So...?"I was listening now.

"So why don't we go exploring!"

"No ghost business." I simply stated. Getting up I rinsed my bowl and spoon then proceeded to grab my bag.

"What do you take me for?" he pretended to be offended.

"Nothing." I answered laughing, "Come on, lets go."

We got to school on time. The thing I hate most about private schools in America is the fact we have to wear uniform, I mean what part America does St Andrew High not get?

"Eve you gonna be late for maths again." that was miss Olivia my guidance counsellor as well as my French and English teacher.

Miss Olivia is the only teacher and person I could stand in this God Damn! School!

"Thanks." I mumbled and frankly didn't make an effort to get to maths.

I was just in time though before Mr Thomas came in and shut the door.

I seated myself on the front desk were I could hear well. So sue me! If I'm a straight "A" student.

The subjects floated faster than normal and pretty soon it was recess,

Now recess is my favourite time, it's the only place where I could be left alone by teachers and students alike.

I walked towards the small secluded bench on the bend of the building facing the high thin fence that gives a view of the outside world.

As always, I removed my sandwich bag and a bottle of 7UP. I was reaching out for the last Ham sandwich when Steve seated himself on the opposite end of the bench where no one could see him even if they could.

"Have you heard?" Steve's eyes filled with excitement.

"What?" I asked not putting much interest in it. Steve knew me better and went on regardless of whether I was listening or not.

"Clarkson just found out she has a younger half sister!" he gazed intently at me searching for a reaction.

"But, her Dad already divorced her mum, what's the point?" my concentration was wandering towards the high gates as I watched people continue with their daily lives.

"It's like a total scandal!" Steve exclaimed seemingly getting bored wit the lack of reaction from me.

"Ok, sorry." I glanced at him to show that I was listening then left my gaze to wander the streets again.

"You know sometimes I wonder what you would do if I wasn't around to keep you company."

"Steve don't be that way." I turned my attention once more away from the crowds to face a casually seated Steve.

"Finally." Steve waved his hands in praise, "so what's actually bothering you?"

"Nothing." and to show you how good of a liar I could be I never left his gaze I met it head on, that is until I finally cracked.

"I hate this school, I hate the uniform, I hate the way everyone is pretending to be perfect." I mumbled low enough so none of the other students could catch on the conversation not that I would care what they think of me.

"I know you do, what I don't get is why you aren't doing something about it?" Steve looked at me curiously as though I was some kind puzzle to be sorted out.

"I can't, because..."I had to stop as a shadow fell over our table. Me and Steve both looked up at the same time.

"What's she doing here?" whispered Steve though I'm the only one here who could hear him.

"Um...hi...Laura." it was hard squinting to get a better view of someone standing above you.

"Hey Eve, I just came to drop you an invite to my Super sweet 17 birthday party." she exclaimed in a small shrill voice.

"Say something" Steve whispered urgently.

It came naturally by now, I relaxed my face and fixed it with a smile of great gatitude,

"Oh my Gosh! Thanks so much!" and taking the envelope I opened it and removed the rather sparkly invitation.

"Thanks again." I added for her benefit.

"Wow, I like totally never knew you were into parties. Well see you then!" she flipped her cool long straightened hair and vanished into the crowds of students.

"We are actually invited to a party by Laura?" Steve jumped the bench in bemusement.

"We are not going." I simply stated after looking around me to ensure no one is at a particularly hearing range, the last thing I need is to be sent in the nut house.

Steve gave me a puppy dog eye look.

"I mean it Steve, N-O-W-A-Y!" It was too late by the time I noticed I was talking to loud, but out of all the embarrassing things I've done in this world I was thankful by being saved by the bell.

I ignored the weird looks I kept getting on my way in and concentrated on finding a way to keep to my word and not attend that party.