Surreal series:A Eve Harris Tale

Surreal series

A Eve Harris Tale

Chapter 1

"So what are you doing?" a voice came from the dark, well not truly dark once your eyes adjust to it.

I remained silent pretending not to have heard him even though we are like the only ones in the botanic garden in the middle of the freaking night.

"Eve come on, don't be this way." the voice pleaded," how was I supposed to know she would lie about that whole haunting thing? "

I remained silent still as I collected the spade and shovel and tied them by my bike, I knew there weren't going to be much cars tonight so there is no chance of me being spotted.

"I was just burying the last of Aunty Juliet's things, I figured this is where she would be happy to have left them.

The things consisted of mainly stones, unusual coloured stones that she always used to channelling spirits much to the disapproval of the rest of the family.

Steve remained silent for a while giving me space.

"I'm sorry about your aunt." he whispered in the dark.

I shrugged and replied dryly, "At least she died doing what she loved." which was in one of her séance's channelling spirits.

"I know, but...if you need someone to talk to I'm here." he said earnestly that I couldn't help but scoff.

"Steve of course your always around, you've been around since I was a freaking baby."

"Yeh well that's different. I'm here as a friend as well as a spirit guide or whatever they call us these days.

It's true, I don't really know how it works but it was rumoured that some of my great ancestors use to be shamans and witch doctors and they all had some sort of spirit companion to mind them.

I never truly believed it and neither does my family that is until I met Aunty Juliet when I was five and she shuffled my first deck of tarot cards. She had a special spot for me in her heart than my brother Mack who doesn't believe in ghosts and thinks aunty Juliet should be in a nut-house. Mack is now in college.

In my first Tarot reading she had looked up her eyes sparkling with excitement and talked to mid air. Well that's what anyone else would have thought but in truth she was talking to what I used to think Steven was, an imaginary friend. This imaginary friend turned out to be my spirit companion blessed to me from birth. Since then she would plead for my mum to drop me there every summer, my mum disagreed but agreed for every Easter or mid-term holiday for me to stay over in her cosy bungalow in Ohio.

"There is someone coming." Steve's voice broke through my train of thoughts.

It was expected this place would be guarded. I turned to Steve leaning against one of the decorative pillars, his blue-white glow visible for me only to see, but this usually happens in the night because at day I could see him just fine like a living person.

"Where is he at?" I asked

"He's coming from the front with a flash light." I nodded my head. I gathered my bike and quickly moved towards the back door. Reaching the door I produced the master key from my pocket and inserted it into the lock.

"Come on." I whispered into the dark once more.

Accustomed by now Steve hopped behind the bike, he didn't have to since he could just vanish and appear else where or float but we prefer not to be detached. I propelled the pedals and off we went.