34

The music didn't blare as loudly as I thought it would.

As we walk towards the front door, I was simply glad to be rid of Knox's nervous rambling.

Although, I couldn't quite say I blame him. Given the circumstances, I'd be anxious as well.

"So, we're leaving by what time?" I ask Knox with a slight sternness to my tone— only to make sure he remembered what I had managed to slip in amongst his ranting on the walk over.

"Midnight," Knox replies, nodding his head to acknowledge me, while his eyes dance around the room for Christine.

Even amidst all the bodies, I quickly found myself entirely alone in the crowded corridor.

I glance at the large bay window with the curtains drawn. The wind had subsided, no longer thrashing the snowflakes in the air— rather they fell softly. I had half a mind to retrace my steps, walking back outside to embrace the cold night air— which frankly— seemed more enticing than the heat that radiated off the many alcohol-riden bodies.

"Look who showed up," a calming voice spoke from behind me, as I spin on my heel to be met with the familiar face of Jack.

"I said I would, didn't I?" I ask rhetorically, emitting a throaty chuckle from Jack. I could faintly detect the smell of liquor on his tongue.

"You look amazing," he spoke softly, so softly I nearly failed to make out the words. A light blush crept onto my cheeks, as I smiled hesitantly towards him.

"Let's dance," he offers, quickly breaking the silence that threatened to fall upon us. His warm hand gently grasps mine, as he leads the way, pulling us towards the record player that currently played an upbeat Elvis tune.

"Violet!"

A familiar voice calls from behind me— however I don't turn around. I recognize the high pitch tone to the voice—even amidst the music— and force myself to believe I had simply been hearing things.

If only I were that lucky.

Suddenly a small hand grasps my forearm, forcing me to spin around and face reality.

Lucy.

"Hi," she breaths lowly. Her striking blonde hair fell shorter, just atop her shoulders. Her ivory skin coated with a rouge blush, and a hint of nervousness sat behind her tone.

I spin back around, completely ignoring the pained look that flashes in her light eyes, regardless of my surprise.

"Violet, please," she practically begs, her voice wavering slightly, as though she's desperately trying to fight off a sea of tears.

I glance at Jack— whose expression holds a mixture of understanding and confusion. His lips quickly form into a small smile, nodding toward Lucy.

"It's alright, just save me a dance."

Lucy tugs at my hand, pulling me from the center of the party towards a much quieter, dimly lit corner.

"I'm sorry," she spoke first, as I look at her expectantly, waiting for her to continue. She couldn't possibly think that a simple apology, after all she's done would suffice.

"I was going through some stuff, my parents they're... separating," she pauses briefly, recomposing herself before continuing. I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. I always envied the relationship she had with her parents. Whereas mine were barely around, her's were attentive and loving.

"Look, I know it's not an excuse— I was just jealous. I got caught up in the moment and--"

"Jealous?" I ask bemused.

What did she possibly have to be jealous of?

"I hadn't seen you in so long, my home life was falling apart, I come to visit and— well you seemed to have a perfect life. Even a boyfriend." Her voice lowers as she says the last part, her eyes shifting from my gaze.

"Please forgive me," she pleads, her eyes slightly glassy, as her hands fiddles nervously with the hem of her pale-yellow cardigan.

I slowly cross my arms over my chest, trying to digest all that she's said.

"Alright," I begin slowly.

"I forgive you."

Even as I spoke the words, I wasn't entirely sure if I had truly meant them. To some degree I had. I suppose I miss the Lucy I remember, but I'm not sure if this Lucy has the capacity to return to her old self. Regardless, I'm not known to hold onto grudges— I can only hope Lucy isn't taking advantage of that.

Lucy's arms cling to my body, quickly engulfing me into a tight, bone-crushing embrace.

"You know..." she says more confidently, her wavering voice entirely gone, as she locks her arm into mine.

"That boy won't stop staring at us." I glance over my shoulder to where Lucy's gaze was fixated.

"For my first duty as reinstated best friend, I am forcing you to go and dance with him!" She smiles playfully, pushing me towards Jack's direction.

I stumble forward, falling into the warm presence of Jack.

"Hey you," he greets kindly. The sleeves on his shirt were rolled upwards, his hair was styled neatly-yet still appeared tousled. Amongst his dirty blond locks sat a lone cigarette tucked—not-so-discreetly—behind his ear.

The quick-paced song that had previously spun on the record player, had quieted down to a much softer rhythm.

"I love this song," I spoke as the vinyl continued to spin. I glance across the room, smiling lightly at the sight of Knox slow dancing with—who I assume is—Chris.

"Well... then we have to dance to it," Jack spoke confidently, playfully reaching his hand out for me to hold, curtsying slightly.

I smile, mimicking his actions, as he guides us towards the centre of the room.

The soft music spun like threads around us. I rested my head against his chest, as he swayed us to the rhythm of the song.

He spun me around playfully, my skirt billowing in the process. A smile graced my face, but quickly fell as I caught sight of a figure standing in the doorway, watching me intently, his face growing an angry shade of red.

Charlie.

A/N: happy halloween 🎃

Thank you for continuing to read!! I needed to resolve this Lucy storyline finally, and now we will resume with some drama in chapter 35!
Ps/ I added the song they were dancing to above ^