1

A/N: I recently watched the movie Dead Poets Society & absolutely loved it! So I decided to write a story involving the main characters. There shouldn't be any major spoilers, but I apologize in advance if there is! Enjoy !!

❣️

~

1959

For the first time in its history, Welton Academy was accepting female admissions. Unfortunately for me, I was one of the unlucky few.

Both of my parents had quite demanding jobs, of which required them to travel a lot. My father's most recent position has placed us in Delaware.

Rather than paying to have me homeschooled—which in their eyes does not offer a vigorous enough education— they chose to ship me off to Welton Academy Boarding School.

"Would you stop fidgeting!" My mother scolds in a hushed tone beside me, as I sat wedged in between her and my father, continuously playing with the hem of my plaid skirt.

I simply huff, rolling my eyes, desperately trying to focus my attention back towards the headmaster's dull, relentless, monotonic voice.

I suppose if I were to find a silver lining, it would be the building's breathtaking architecture. Ferns and rosebeds grew along the perimeter of its structure, sitting atop the impeccably kept grassy field. The old building stood proudly behind its iron gates, amongst rows of trees, of which's leaves held red and orange hues, with the turn of the new autumn season.

"Gentlemen, the four pillars," Mr. Nolan shouts, to which several male students stand up— as if on cue— instantly grasping my attention.

"Tradition, Honor, Discipline, and Excellence," they chant in a cult-like, robotic unison.

I could no longer suppress my quiet giggle, which causes my mother to shoot me a stern and menacing glare.

"Oh come on mother, they act like wind-up dolls!" I defend, to which I see the sides of her lips twitch, threatening to smile at any given moment.

After what seemed like an eternity of having to sit through the principle's excruciatingly long welcome speech, we were finally able to go to our rooms.

Seeing as I am the only girl in the senior class, I will be rooming by myself— which begs no complaints from me.

"Room 213, should be right about... here!" My father says triumphantly, upon finally finding the correct dorm room.

He fumbles with the old knob for a brief second, before swinging open the wooden door.

"Well, this is it," My father states rather glumly, examining the room with a sour expression.

There's two small neatly made beds in either corner, with a wooden night stand on either side. The cream-painted walls are bare, and only one window provides light into the otherwise dark room.

"It's not that bad, Vi," My mother says comfortingly, at at least attempts to, upon noticing my distaste for my new living quarters.

"Not that bad! Mother, it's awful!" I argue, dropping my bags and rather dramatically flopping down atop the rather hard bed.

"Violet..." My mother sighs, placing her hands on her hips, her lips forming a tight line, indicating she's growing increasingly irritated.

"Please be good... For me?" She pleads, gently cupping the sides of my face.

"Fine," I huff begrudgingly, to which she smiles, kissing my cheek before returning to her previous position next to my father.

"Be good, dear. Stay out of trouble and make us proud," my father spoke warmly, or as warmly as he could muster, giving me one last hug before departing.

"Let us know if you need anything!" My mother shouts, while exiting the room alongside my father, closing the wooden door behind her, leaving me all alone in the unfamiliar, empty room.

I place my luggage on the edge of the bed, taking a seat next to them.

This is going to be a long year.