Chapter 8

~~Lia's POV~~

  I had totally forgotten it was my birthday. The day I find out if I am Beck's true mate, and when I turn into a werewolf. Beck already knew that I was his mate but the spirits had to make it official. I was staring at the road and I could feel the tension grow between all the phone calls.

  "Yes it is Lia's birthday. I welcome her to the pack warmly but I fear it may come with a price. This is the one thing the Hunters are mostly trying to stop. They dont want her to become one of us simply becuase it makes us one stronger. Now that they know how to track us, we must keep moving. There is a hotel another 2 hours away that we will stop at. But I warn you to be ready to face the worse," He said calmly before haging up.

   "Well happy birthday....," Alec said smiling.

I looked back at him, "Thank you."

  Beck looked over at me," Happy Birthday, L."

When he looked back to the road there was a hooded figure standing there. Beck stomped on the breaks to keep from hitting it. We where lucky there wasnt anyone on the road or that could have been one bad car accident. I starred up at the figure and it took it's hood off. The Elders. They where here. I unbuckled and got out of the car. Everyone else did the same. There where only about 10 Elders where as there where about 20 wolves.

  "Hello. My name is Eloise. I believe we need to talk," She said firmly.

Brian stepped forward, "Hello Eloise."

  "Brian, it is good to see you again. You called for us did you not?" She asked plainly.

"Yes I did. But I did not expect you to show up in the middle of a highway," He said laughing softly.

  "If you believe this to be a joking matter my people and I will leave," She said and turned around.

 "Wait. I am very sorry. I meant no disrespect."

   She turned around and cocked her head to the side, "You are forgiven. Now what is it that you wanted to speak with us about."

  "The Hunters are after us. Two in particular...Lia and her friend Rylee," Brian said seriously.

"Yes. I've heard quite alot about Ms.Rylee. Some are saying you kidnapped her and you know very well that isnt a situation we would like to get outselves into," Eloise said sternly.

  Rylee stepped forward and spoke, "Excuse me, Eloise. But they did no such thing. I..I followed Lia and Beck. I saw for myself what they are. I realize your rules are strict to never tell humans but Lia is a good friend and she didnt want to lie to me."

  At the mention of this Eloise stiffened. She turned to look at me.

   "You have a very bold friend. Not many would speak at times like these with such authority. But as for her being human, the crime is punishable by death, Lia. I do not wish to end your life so early so you must explain your reasoning."

 I cleared my throat, "I had no knowledge of what I was until Beck told me. He only did for the simple fact that Brian was my cousin and I was one of them. Though at the time he nor I knew it he told me anyway. He trusted me enough to keep such a big secret. That was the way I felt with Rylee. I can trust her. Not to metion it wasnt at the best of times when she found out. We where only just running away," I paused a moment, "We have reason to believe that she is one of us. We have seen the mating signs between her and Derek. So can you really say that I told a human?" I finished quickly.

   Eloise turned to look at Rylee. But then back to me. I wasnt really paying attention while she was talking I was more aware of Alec. He had put his arm around my waist and was pullng me into him. I couldnt really do anything since he had a iron hold on me, so I just did the only thing I could do: I leaned into him. Alec is more of a brother and his shoulder makes a really good pillow. By that time I olny caught the end of Eloise's speech.

" ....Her parents only want her to come home. Now, while I cannot control what you do, I think it would be best if you simply let her go." Eloise said taking her hood up.

  "I don't want to go home," Rylee spoke up once more.

"Child, listen very carefully. You are one of us; you have a mate. If you wish to stay that is your desision. But if you wish to avoid a war, then I suggest going home and telling your parents everything is fine," Eloise stated.

  "Why cant you say something? You said that my parents report to you..." Rylee offered.

"Yes they report to us, but we do not handle their own personal matters. That is none of our concern. If you want them to leave your friends alone then go back....otherwise...be prepared, child," Eloise said before the rest of the Elders and her took off.

  No one said anything and finally Rylee got out of her stupor.

"Maybe I can tell my parents that I dont wanna come home. Maybe they will listen to me," She said to us.

 Brian looked at her, "You can try....but doubt very seriously it will work. Come on. We're almost to the hotel."

 Alec let go of me and everyone piled into the cars without a word.

~~Beck's POV~~

 Of course I knew it was her birthday. How could I forget. Tonight is the night when she can finally shift and I can claim her as my mate. She obviously forgot but thats okay. She has had a lot going on lately. When Eloise showed up I wasnt surprised. She was still her same old- fashioned self. She looked a bit older though and I wondered why that was.

  *Dude quit talking to yourself.* I heard Alec say.

I looked over at him. He was standing beside Lia looking at Eloise like nothing even happened.

  *It's called thinking. Maybe you should try it sometime, Alec,* I replied smiling.

I couldn't see any emotion crossing over his face until he smiled evily. I saw him snake an arm around Lia's waist and pull her into him. I could tell he had an iron grip on her and that she wasnt going anywhere. But she did the last thing I would have thought she would do: she leaned into him. I growled lowly so no one would hear me.

 *I thought about doing this. Does that prove I can think?* Alec told me his smie growing even bigger.

 I was so tempted to rip his head off, but I restrained myself because I didnt want to start something that I couldnt finish. Lia would kill me if I hurt any of the pack now. They are too much like family to her. So I just stood there until Brian told us it was time to go. Everyone walked to their cars quietly. No one said a word, and fankly I couldnt blame them. The Elders dont usually show up just out of no where. They called you to a specific place and time to meet them. This must have been more important to them than Eloise let on if they showed up in the middle of a highway.