Charlotte’s face was so blank. Serene almost. I studied her still form as the screams of the dying soldiers grew louder, as Eira drew closer. When I died, would I see Charlotte instantly? And Amy and Alicia? That wouldn’t be so bad. At least I wouldn’t be alone in the afterlife.

                “Megan,” Becca gasped, “you’re supposed to…”

                I shook my head and leaned forward, burying my face in Charlotte’s tunic, inhaling the leather, and the fresh smell of my friend’s soap.

                “Megan, she’s getting closer,” Margaret strode forward and yanked on the back of my tunic, trying to pull me up. There was panic in her voice, “you have to fight her now. Come on…”

                I refused to be parted from Charlotte, I clung to her like she might save me, “No,” my voice was a pitiful howl, and even though I felt ashamed I didn’t stop, “I can’t! I can’t do this by myself!”

                Suddenly the grip on the back of my tunic vanished, and there was a gentle pressure on my shoulder and a voice in my ear, “You won’t have to.”

                That voice…

                I looked up in surprise to find Kiera smiling down at me, her bright blue eyes crinkled at the corners.  There was something in her eyes that looked tired, resigned. She nodded at Charlotte, “stand back, child.”

                I stood so abruptly that my head spun, feeling hope rise up in my chest, “Kiera, you’re a witch, can you…are you…” I couldn’t spit it out. What if she said no?

                Kiera just smiled, a little sadly. She leaned forward and placed one hand on Charlotte’s stomach, splaying her fingers over the leather tunic. Then she leaned forward, her long silver hair falling forward like a curtain to obscure their faces. She leaned in very very close, with her face right in front of Charlotte’s, and I craned my neck trying to see what was going on. I could feel the other three girls right behind me and hear Davin’s voice pleading, asking what was going on, what was she doing? Could she help Charlotte?

                Luckily most of the enemy soldiers left us alone, swarming around and past us to protect their advancing Queen.  A few of them stopped around us, forming a loose circle, but not attacking, and I guessed they were waiting. It was obvious the Queen was advancing toward us, she must have given orders for them to leave me alive. She was going to do the killing. I pushed the thought aside as Kiera suddenly sat back on her heels.

                Charlotte didn’t move, her face was still pale and still. My heart sank, “What did you do?”

                Kiera moved toward me, placing one hand on my shoulder, again her expression was resigned. There was a hint of sadness in her smile, “My fate is sealed child, and Charlotte’s is too. I have seen it.”

                I stammered as she turned and walked away, angry that she’d done nothing to help us. Charlotte was still dead. My protests trailed off when I saw where Kiera was going. She was heading straight for the Queen. The frost soldiers that ringed the Queen charged her, and Kiera batted them away with a sweep of one hand. Finally the two woman faced one another, and though the clamour of battle still continued, many of the soldiers circling the two women fell silent and lowered their blades, apparently content to watch what was about to happen.

                My stomach twisted as they faced off. It was like seeing two titans about to rip one another to pieces. Eira’s face was full of contempt, and her voice rang out high and cold over the chaos of battle, “You think to challenge me, witch?”