chapter 1

(KATE'S POINT OF VIEW)

Autumn is the time of year when it starts to get colder. The leaves of trees shrivel up and fall to the ground, leaving the ground in warm scarlet and brown hues. The animals hide away, and the creatures of the fantasy world come alive.

I've always wondered what it would feel like to hide away and sleep through the winter, or how it would feel to shed the leaves that once kept me safe from those stormy humid days of summer.

On these chilly fall days, I enjoy eating a pumpkin treat that have crowded the stores while taking a destressing walk in the park. I tend to take my time, as I like how it feels when the wind is hitting my face, and how enchanting the Earth looks as it prepares for the winter.

But, unfortunately all good things don't last and I'm given an uneven trade for winter. I mean, I try to see the good in everything but what's so fun about icy roads, or slipping on the sidewalk?

At this point, I emerge out of my thoughts as I have reached the school. I always am in my own head thinking about topic after topic. I always have since I was a kid. I'd always be quiet because I'd be thinking really hard about things. Now, when I think inside my head, it's when I'm lonely. My head is like my friend, it gives me someone to talk to when I'm alone.

~~

"Kate in the houseeee!" Jack said enthusiastically.

"Hey." Kate said with a little less enthusiastic.

"Hey!" the group said all said to each other before the morning bell rings, and all the students fly into the school to warm up.

"Jake, how was the party on Saturday?" Kate said walking with Jake and Emily to homeroom.

"You should of been at the party Kate, I made out with my crush." Jake said while his eyes expanded from excitement.

"Woah really?" Kate said trying to act excited.

"Yeah, anyway, how was your weekend Kate?" Jake said changing the story before it went too far into details.

"The usual just hanging out at my house, studying and watching Netflix." Kate said trying to sound enthusiastic.

"Did you see the cute girl running Kate?" Jake asked.

"Yes.." Kate says blushing.

"Did you talk to her?" Jake curiously asked.

"Yes, I said hello." Kate speaks while her blush turns redder by the second.

"Get it Kate! Get some!" Jake started chanting excitedly.

"Jake shut it, people will hear you!!" Kate said, embarrassed.

The talk ended when they had to split ways. Kate walked into her homeroom class to see the girl that's been running by her every time she walks to school. Her crush.

Kate sat and leaned over to her friend Jessica and whispered, "What's the new girl's name?"

"Amelia, why?" Jessica said in a curious whisper.

"That's the girl that runs by me every morning when I walk to school" Kate said blushing.

"That's your crush? AMELIA, COME MEET MY ADORABLE FRIEND KATE!"
Jessica said excitedly.

"Jessica why would you do that?!" Kate said in a harsh panicked whisper-shout and playfully smacked Jessica's arm.

"What girl it's time you got some action in your life. I haven't seen you with someone since the 9th grade." Jessica said accidently bringing up a memory Kate didn't want to remember.

McKenzie, a red haired, green eyed girl who happened to be Kate's world. Kate and McKenzie was the duo since 6th grade, wherever one was the other one was sure to be there. Sadly, not everything good lasts for Kate. One day, she walked in on McKenzie kissing Harry Holton, the school's biggest bully. Later, people found out that McKenzie wasn't even into girls, she just used Kate to get popular. Mckenzie's plan was clever, but when people found that out, they stopped being her friend, and she was back at the bottom of the food chain.

Kate pushed her feelings back, and said as normal looking as she could, "I don't need anyone. We are gonna graduate in a month, and then I'm off to college."

"You think I'm trying to hook you up for a relationship? No, she's gonna be your rebound!" said Jessica, laughing.

"That's cruel Je-" Kate said getting cut off when Amelia finally reached them.

"Hello! I'm Amelia. You must be Kate. How are you?" Amelia said nicely.

"..H-hi I'm K..Kate. you already knew that- I'm great!!" Kate said nervously, laughing, but internally dieing inside.

"Nice to meet you Kate!" Amelia responded, a smile on her face.

"Attendance, everyone sit down" Mr.Rollablunt said sternly.

(KATE'S POV)

By the time homeroom was done, I had learned who had hooked up with who at the party, and Jessica's new crushes. You can say I was glad to leave homeroom. The rest of the day went smoothly, with some classes filled with more friends than others. Now five minutes to school ending, everyone is anxious to go home and catch up on sleep they lost over the weekend, or study for tests.Everyone but kate because all Kate had on her mind was Amelia, the way she dresses, the way her silky hair falls in front of her face, just to have her giggle and put on a smile, tucking it behind her ear.

----

(Authors note)

Sorry for the short chapter the next chapters will be longer after the beginning of the book is finished.Updates will be put out as soon as I can put them out.Thanks to my best friend syrupwaifu for being my editor.Be sure to leave a comment and vote also share the book with your friends.Have a nice day and I hope you enjoyed this chapter.