“Oh come on,” gasps Damon. “I did this for you to get them off our trail.”

“You never do anything for anyone but yourself,” hisses Stefan.

I sit down on the couch and watch this fight play out. The next thing Stefan does is pull a steak out of his pocket and stab Damon in the stomach.

“You missed,” Damon wheezes.

“No,” growls Stefan. “You save my life, I spared yours.”

He throws Damon onto the ground one last time before stalking off to his room. Damon sits there, gasping and panting on the floor with the wooden stake still protruding from him stomach. I walk over to him and help him pull it out before driving it back in again.

“Ahhh!” screams Damon.

“That was for Lexi.” I glare at him. Then I pull out the stake and stick him again. “That was for not telling me your plan.” I pull out the stake really quickly and stake him one last time. “And that was for saving the Sheriff bitch earlier.”

Damon’s shirt front is all bloody and now that I am satisfied, I leave him alone. I walk back to my room, strip out of my clothes, shower and crawl into bed. It’s been a long and eventful night and I didn’t even want to know what else would await us all the next day.

***

Unfortunately, when I woke up the next day, I realized I had to go to school. The thought made me want to kill myself but I knew that was impossible since I was a vampire. It wasn’t really that easy to go off yourself, especially when you’ve lived the supreme life that I had. So reluctantly, I dragged myself out of bed and got ready for school. After throwing on a pair of skinny jeans and a blazer, I walk downstairs to the kitchen to pour myself a glass of orange juice.

“Good morning Stefan,” I say when Stefan walks into the kitchen. He nods in my direction and I roll my eyes. “You are so polite.”

“At least I acknowledged you.”

I stuck out my tongue at him. “Want to give me a ride to school today?”

“Sure.”

We both hop into his car and drive to Mystic Falls high school. History is our first class of the day so Stefan and I walk to class together. The classroom is already relatively full when we enter but thankfully, there are still two seats together in the back. Elena was already sitting somewhere in the middle row and Bonnie soon rushes in also. There’s an odd expression to her face, as if she had seen a ghost.

“Good morning everyone.” An unfamiliar young man strides into the room. He dumps all his books and binders on the teacher’s desk and begins writing on the chalkboard: ALARIC SALTZMAN.

“Alaric Saltzman,” he reads. “I know it’s a mouthful.” Then he goes on to explain some boring history of the origins of his name, so boring that I almost fall asleep. “So you can call me Rick,” concludes Mr. Saltzman. He smiles awkwardly at our class and we all just stare back at him. “Well, let’s begin the lesson for the day.”

***

Although history class was becoming a bore, I had to admit, I liked Alaric, who was a huge improvement from Tanner.

I had basically slept through all my morning classes so it was like I was finally waking up when I walked up to Bonnie and Elena at lunch. They looked like they were in an intense conversation and when I sat down, both of them shut up immediately.