The Chase [4]

Here is the much needed update, friends. So sorry that its so late, and its probably not even that good. But, enjoy c: xo 

______________________________________________________________________________________

I invited Alex in when we got back to mine, I wanted him to stay with me because he made everything more bearable. 

We sat in my room silently for a while. Alex obviously didn't know what to say to me, I don't blame him, I wouldn't know what to say if I was him either. Especially because he knows how much I hate unneeded sympathy, so "I'm so sorry" was off the cards. 

"So, what are you going to do about it, Mia?" Alex looked at me, I could tell that he was hurt by this as much as I was, Alex and May were almost as close as Alex and I were. That question took me by surprise, I was completely confused by what he said. What the hell did he want me to do about it? There wasn't much I could do. 

"What do you mean? What can I do about it? What do you expect me to do?" 

"Moping around in the house all day long, while your dad downs all the alcohol he could find in the liquor store isn't going to help is it, Mia?"

That took me by surprise and I could feel the anger building up inside me. Was he stupid? Had he come over with some kind of Dumb Disease?

"What the fuck, Alex? I'm not gonna go running round the streets screaming May's name. That's not going to make her magically appear in front of me, is it? The police are doing all they can, if they can't do anything, how the fuck do you expect me to be able to find her?"

"Mia, you're smarter than this. You know that you can help, you know that you can do it. You know May better than anyone else in this world. How the hell do you know that she even got kidnapped? How do you know she hasn't just left? How do you know she hasn't run away? How the fuck do you know that she's not gone somewhere, in the hope that you'll run after her?"

That's when I blew, that's when Alex had pushed that one button that he knew would tip me over the edge.

"BECAUSE ALEX, SHE'S MY FUCKING SISTER, LIKE YOU SAID I KNOW HER BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE IN THIS WORLD. IF SHE WAS GOING TO RUN AWAY, DON'T YOU THINK I WOULD'VE NOTICED THE TELL-TALE FUCKING SIGNS? DON'T YOU THINK I WOULD'VE REALISED THAT SHE WASN'T HAPPY? THAT SHE WANTED TO GO SOMEWHERE? YOU'RE BEING SUCH A DICK ABOUT THIS, EXPECTING THAT IF I LEAVE THE HOUSE AND GO PUT UP A COUPLE POSTERS, PUT OUT AN APPEAL, THAT THE PERSON THAT HAS HER WILL FEEL GUILTY AND FUCKING BRING HER BACK. NO ALEX, LIFE DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT, SHIT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT." 

That's when I realised, I hadn't done something I should've done the day I found out she was gone. I looked at Alex, and he was looking back at me, obviously at shock at what I had just said. He went to speak, but I cut him off. 

"Alex, I haven't checked May's room..." I told him, almost shamefully. How could I have been so stupid?

"Fuck." That's all he could reply with. That's all I could think.

I ran out of my room and literally sprinted down the corridor till I reached May's room door. As soon as I got to it, I went to reach for the handle, but then stopped. I couldn't do it. I couldn't open the door. I couldn't bring myself to go into her room. What if she had runaway? What if I didn't notice that she wanted to go? What if it was my fault? I could feel the tears coming back, but I scrubbed them away, took a deep breath and opened the door. I could do this, I know I could.

_______ 

I turned around to see Alex standing beside me, he gave me a reassuring smile and I opened the door.