Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

A few hours later, we rushed into the emergency room of the hospital, our bags in tow. Ryan grabbed the first nurse he saw, asking where he could find Jack Parker. She pointed to a curtained-off room down the hall. Assuming it was best to let Ryan go in alone, I hung back. But he grabbed my hand, pulled me to his side, and we pulled open the curtain together.

A small, dark-haired boy laid on a gurney in a hospital gown three sizes too big. His eyes were closed, though based on the grimace on his face, the sleep wasn't peaceful. He had IVs sticking out of both arms. And he absolutely was the spitting image of Ryan.

A girl about my age, who I assumed was Brianna, sat in a chair beside the boy, stroking the hair off his forehead. The lines on her face were creased with worry. Her mousy brown hair was coming out of the long braid she'd wound it into. She wore yoga pants and an old, ratty t-shirt, as if she'd run out of the house in a hurry, the sick boy in her arms. A tall, thin man stood behind her, a calming presence as he massaged her shoulders. That must be the boyfriend.

Ryan's mom was in the room as well, flitting about nervously. She seemed unable to calm herself enough to sit down. "Ryan!" she called out when she noticed him, rushing into his arms.

He hugged her back with one arm, still holding my hand in the other, and always keeping his eyes trained on his son. "Hey, Mom," he said in a soothing, comfortable way. He nodded to Brianna and her boyfriend. They left their post to come greet us.

"Thanks for coming. I'm sorry you had to leave the wedding," Brianna gave him a quick hug.

"Of course. Thanks for calling me." Their tone was civil but friendly, and I could tell immediately they had worked hard to cultivate this co-parenting relationship.

No one seemed to notice I was attached to Ryan, but he pulled me into view immediately. "Brianna, Dean, this is my girlfriend, Lily. Mom, you remember her from school, right?"

Dean and Brianna each shook my hand but his mother only looked at me stone-faced. Without missing a beat she asked, "What is she doing here?" with a coldness in her voice.

I took a step back floored by the bite to her words. Mrs. Parker hadn't been overly friendly that Family Weekend, but I hadn't sensed any real hostility. I was sure it was a surprise to all of them that Ryan had brought me, introducing me as his girlfriend no less, when he had left for the weekend single. But I didn't expect this.

"Lily was at the same wedding and she's my girlfriend now. As soon as she heard Jack was sick, she wanted to come. And I want her here," he defended me, pulling me closer to his side and wrapping his arm around my waist. "Anyway, can we not do this now?"

Not giving her the chance to respond, he led us over to the gurney. Ryan leaned down and brushed his lips across his son's forehead. "Hey, buddy," he whispered, placing his hand over Jack's much smaller one. He looked him over quickly before turning towards Brianna. "What have the doctors said?"

"We're still waiting on a few tests," she answered, "but the doctors seem to think it's his appendix."

Ryan blew out a deep breath. He glanced back down at Jack before responding. "That means surgery, right?"

Brianna nodded.

Ryan's eyebrows furrowed in anguish as he looked at Jack once again. Knowing he was going to have to have surgery, no matter how routine, suddenly made the boy seem so tiny and innocent.

Just then the doctor stepped into the room. He had a calming demeanor and the salt and pepper sprinkled in his hair suggested experience.