11 - Ron's Grave Mistake

Hermione was the first to rise from dinner. They had held an awkward conversation with the Malfoy's but as the meal drew to an end she could feel the prickle of dislike radiating off of Ron and Draco. Surprisingly Harry and Draco seemed to be fine, Hermione was sure that this was partially due to the war and Harry's part in helping the Malfoy's survive the battle, Ron, on the other hand, had been a complete ass to Draco during the war and it was no different now that it was over. He sat glowering at Draco, shooting passive aggressive comments in his direction throughout the conversation.

His latest comment had been the final straw.

"Borgin's and Burkes?"

"Yes. They shut their doors last month," Harry said, Draco arched an eyebrow, he had not been aware of this news.

"What caused them to close?"

"We raided Knockturn Alley and slammed them with over a dozen infractions," Harry said with a crooked grin. Everyone knew that Knockturn Alley was bad news, it was the hiding place for most illegal activity and a large assortment of dark arts users.

"Yeah. Weren't you close with the owners." Ron said.

"Not particularly," Lucius said quietly, "Borgin was a slimy fellow and Burke...was rather unpleasant."

"That seems like the perfect fit for you," Ron said nodding at Draco. He merely gave Ron a slight glare, pursing his lips and leaning back in his chair.

"Ron I think it's getting late, your Mother is going to be missing you," Hermione said, glaring at him. Ron shot her a furtive look and then stood.

"Yeah guess it's time to head out." He glanced over at Harry and Luna, "Are you coming."

Harry nodded and rose to his feet.

"Yeah, just going to help Hermione with the dishes first," As he said this Hermione flicked her wand, ushering the dishes off the table and into the sink where they immediately began scrubbing themselves.

"Don't worry about that Harry. I swear you sometimes forget that magic exists."

Harry smiled slightly, "Living with the Dursley's had its side effects."

Luna also rose to her feet, "I'll join you. I have to check on the press before it malfunctions."

"Lunny why don't you just replace it..." Ron said Luna gave him a withering look, "Don't call me that...I like this press it's a classic." Luna said, she passed Ron and headed down the hallway, with a dramatic eye roll Ron turned to follow her, Harry and Hermione followed him.

Luna threw on her shawl and turned to Harry, "Let me know if you need me on watch, for now, I'm going to head home and get a bit of sleep." Harry nodded, "I'll take this watch, and Ron can take tomorrows. If you could watch tomorrow night we would appreciate it and of course, the ministry will compensate your time."

Luna nodded, "Thank you," then she turned to Hermione, "It's great to see you again, it's been a while." She gave Hermione a quick squeezing hug before turning to unlock the front door.

"Well, see you around Hermione," Ron said awkwardly, Hermione nodded. "Yes see you around." Hermione turned and hugged Harry. "Let me know if you need anything while you're out there."

Harry smiled. "I will but I'll come in if that's the case... You're not going anywhere till we know it's safe."

Hermione sighed, "I'm not the one they're after Harry. I've told you, they won't get me."

Hermione closed the door behind them and Harry heard the lock click as they made their way down the front steps.

"I'll pop by Ginny's and have a word with her before heading home. Anything you'd like me to tell her?" Ron asked. Harry gave him a sideways look, "Not really, let her know I'm on watch and that I'll be home tomorrow, and of course give her my love."