Chapter 9

1 week later (following Eliza)

Once Kara and Alex go upstairs, Eliza presses the call button on her phone to call her husband, "Hi, sorry I couldn't pick up the phone. Please leave a message and I'll try to get back to you." She hangs up the phone, "Where are you?"

Eliza walks into the kitchen and grabs a wine glass out of one of the cabinets. She grabs one of the many wine choices off of the bar and pours some into her glass. She decides to take the bottle as she makes her way into the living room. Eliza sits down on the couch, turns on the TV, and waits for her husband to return home.

*2 hours later*

Alex walks out of the room heading towards the bathroom but stops when she hears the TV playing downstairs. The brunette gives in to her curiosity and makes her way to the living room.

The teen walks into the living area and sees her mom fast asleep on the couch. She goes to wake her up, but before she gets the chance to the front door opens, and her father steps into the house. Alex can tell that Jeremiah tried to sneak into the house, but obviously, it was no point because she's looking dead at him. The girl clears her throat which causes the older man to jump, "You have no stealth skills whatsoever. I heard you as soon as you came through the door. It's past noon, Dad. Where were you? Why are you sneaking into the house? I might add." Alex asks crossing her arms.

Jeremiah takes a second to respond, "You're right it is past twelve, so what are you doing up, young lady? You're supposed to be in bed you have school in the morning."

"Well, I was sleeping; I had to pee. I heard the TV on, so I came downstairs to see my mom passed out on the couch with a bottle of wine on the floor. She was waiting on her husband to come home because she cares about your well-being. It seems that you forgot how to answer your phone." Alex says getting protective of her mother.

"You better watch who you're talking to, Alex. I'm still your father."

"Or what?"

"Aaaalex..."

The younger girl holds her hands up in surrender, "Right...you're right. I've done enough talking; I should probably go to bed, so I can let my mother do the talking now. Mooom! Dad's home. He has some explaining to do." The irritated girl says loud enough that it wakes her mother. Alex gives her father a smug smile and a pat on the shoulder as she passes him by, "Good luck, you're gonna need it," After that being said, the girl makes her way back upstairs.

Jeremiah lets out a sigh and looks at his wife, "What are we going to do with that one?" Jeremiah lets out a light chuckle. When he gets no response from his wife, he stops, "Look, I'm sorry that I didn't answer you're caught up in the mix of things and I lost track of time at work." Eliza sits up straight and leans back on the couch.

"You think I'm fucking stupid? There's no way in hell you were at the lab, Jeremiah. I called up there and they said you had left a long time ago, so cut the bullshit and just tell me where you were after you left work." She says as she scratches her forehead with an unashamed facial expression.

"I never said I was at the lab-"

"YOU JUST SAID YOU LOST TRACK OF TIME BECAUSE OF WORK!"

"I went somewhere...private...to work on my research...in private."

Eliza yawns, "So we're doing this? Okay," The woman rolls her eyes Jeremiah looks at her confused.

"They lying! You're gonna lie to me?! Fine, whenever you're ready to stop with the games and tell me what's going on THEN you can come and talk to me. Until then your ass is about to get acquainted with this couch, goodnight."