Chapter 22 - Maddy

Anger coursed through me with each mini story he relived, each moment he explains, each small smile on his face, talking and talking about none other than Scarlett Jones. I couldn't help it. And I just didn't know what to think. He says she moved, and it was on Facebook in a very dramatic spiel this morning, but why did he have to care so much? No, I'm being too harsh. He lost an old friend. But...god, was I jealous.

After I noticed him staring at me, I turned away to hide my face. "I'm sorry. That sucks."

"Yeah."

We said nothing else. I couldn't help but wonder what would happen if I left, what he would do. Would he try and keep in contact with me? I bet he wouldn't react so badly. Ouch. That hurt.

All day, that's what I did. Argue with myself over and over again about what to think, what to feel, what to say, but I could only sense jealousy and anger. And then denial, because I wasn't going to be the crazy obsessed girl. And then back to jealousy and hatred. Scarlett Jones of all people...how could she ever of been nice? Compassionite? Kind? Any of those things he said about her. It was hard to believe. I'm not the nicest person, I'm not the most carefree. I'm no the best social butterfly either, not to mention my looks. She's gone, though, right?

The team took the news very well, and practice for the next few days was going great. Derek continued to talk to me, but it didn't feel the same at first. As if the weeks building up to that question the other night was broken again. Eventually, we went back to old ways, friendly conversations and such, putting us right back where we were, even though something seemed a little different on my side. Derek continued to work in overdrive while I eventually got over it, focusing on being a better defender again. Remember, Scarlett's gone! She can't do anything from forever away, she won't. No, it's all okay. Don't get obssesed now.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday's practice went smoothly, and Friday's early morning was going slow as usual. The coaches let off because tomorrow was game day, so that didn't help at all. Hadley and Hannah were going to be late picking me up again, and how coincedentaly, so was Derek's ride. In fact, his "ride" has been late the past two days. Nonetheless, we sat across from each other as usual. I buried my face in my phone as he did the same. He usually started the conversations. But he's been so quiet lately, which I can't help but think it's my ignorance. I really need to get over this Scarlett issue.

Abruptly, he slapped his phone down on the wooden picnic table, bringing me out of my digital world and racing thoughts. "Did I do something wrong?"

"What?" I asked.

"Did I do something wrong?" He repeated, shuffling a little bit. "You don't seem to want to pay me any attention anymore."

I closed my eyes and sighed. I couldn't tell him it was about Scarlett. That was pathetic. "Nothing."

"Liar." I opened my eyes to look at his, expecting a smirk but meeting pleading eyes. He raised an eyebrow hopefully. "Tell me?"

"Ehh, it's embarassing." I reasoned, green eyes captivating me again. This happens at least three times a day now.

He laughed infectiously. "I don't care. I want to see you happy again."

A weightless feeling coursed through me and left again, leaving me weak at the knees even though I was sitting. I felt giggly and stupid. "It was just hearing all those nice things about Scarlett...it just sorta..."

"You were jealous?"

Shit. "No, no -"

"I figured. Sorry. I didn't mean to trigger that. You like chocolate, right?"