"Please Nicholas," I whimpered slightly, "I'm- I'm not strong enough to be claimed yet." I whispered the last bit so quietly I wasn't sure he heard it. 

Ever so slowly I felt Nicholas loosen his grip, he placed a small kiss on the part of my neck his mouth has previously been as a sort of apology for the pain he caused, it sent chills of pleasure over the sensate skin. 

"I'm sorry" He murmured resting his forehead against mine, I watched as the last controls of the wolf left his eyes, leaving them back to their natural blue and brown. 

"No, it's not your fault it's mine." I whispered stroking his cheek,

"What did you mean, you're not strong enough?" He asked catching my hand.

"I just felt it in my heart," I started, "When I felt your canines, and you hands around my thighs, I panicked, I did't know whether my heart would be strong enough... I'm sorry." I looked down, too ashamed at my weakness to look him in the eye.

Nicholas' brought his hand up, gently gripping my chin and forcing my eyes back up to his, "Moy dusha, it's fine. It just means until you're ready, you're not leaving my sight." 

I smiled, knowing he was half joking, half very serious. 

"What does Moy dusha mean?" 

A smirk grew on his lips, "No, I think it's time you start learning Russian yourself."

"Hey no fair!" I elbowed him in the ribs, "Come on, if you tell me I promise to make an effort to learn."

"Ok, ok." He conceded smiling, tucking a stray curl behind my ear that had come loose from the bobby pins, "Moy Dusha means, my soul."

My heart practically melted right there, dammit this boy was doing everything right!

I placed a soft kiss on his lips, enjoying the simple warmth between us. 

"I guess, seeing as you've been so open with me, I should explain the situation with my heart." I said sighing as I pulled back.

Nicholas intertwined my fingers with his, "I was wondering about that, like what happened at the ball, and what your father was shouting about before we left." 

"Yeah, well it's long story."

"We have time." 

"Ok, so you know how She-wolves have shorter pregnancies than humans being 6 months rather than 9, and when your the mate of an Alpha the pregnancy is even shorter at 4 months, well I was born after nearly 2 months."

"Nobody knows why or how, my parents had only just found out my sex early that week, and when my mother was with my brothers in the woods she felt these odd pains, soon they incapacitated her and she collapsed on the floor of the valley. Theo was only 10 at the time so he took Nate and Cole back to the Palace then went to get help."

"My Great Aunt Stella came, she's a doctor who got my mum through her previous pregnancies, then not long after my father came too. It was a horrible and painful labour for my mum, and in the end I came out no bigger than my dad's hand and... stillborn."

Nicholas's grip on me tighten protectively, but I carried on.

"My Aunt pronounced me dead, and my parents were devastated. But then, somehow maybe from cold shock or something else I took my first breath; my mother named me Rose, because the valley was filled with them and on account of my dark red lips, then Persephone for coming back from the dead, even though Persephone never actually died she was just kidnapped by Hades."

Nicholas raised an eyebrow at me, 

"What! I like Greek Myths ok." I Said defensively, 

"Anyway, I spent the first few months on my life in an incubator and the operating table, as they found my heart was severely underdeveloped, I went through four operations as an infant, then three at the age of 6, one when I was thirteen and the last one when I was Sixteen after my first shift, as I result I am covered in scars." I laughed unhumorously, flawed skin seemed to run in my family. 

"Let me see." Nicholas said quietly

I slowly unbuttoned the shirt, showing him the puckered skin, the white Xs and lines that covered the valley between my breasts and my ribcage. I froze as Nicholas gently traced them with his fingers and placed a kiss on each one, then did up the buttons again.

"Are you ok now?" He asked his voice calm and serious but with worry in his eyes.

"I think so, I just have to be careful when it comes to my heart sometimes, thats all." 

He nodded and kissed my forehead. 

"Come on, lets get something to eat I'm starving." I said tugging at his hand. 

It was only later that I noticed the dark blue purple love bite Nicholas had left on my neck, it refused to fade for a whole week, much to my embarrassment while Anya and Leo teased me continuously. 

...

Time seemed to slip by after that, a day turned into a week, which turned into two, three then before I knew it I had been in Russia over a month. I finally plucked up the courage to FaceTime my family in which both my mum and I burst into tears, with the constant flood of I miss you, for a solid half hour. I grew closer to Gaby and Anya as Nicholas would spend long hours working in his office, or travel off to various parts of his kingdom, overseeing the people, protection and the law. 

One day while Nicholas was off at the southern border with Valentine, Ilia and Leo, I had dragged Gaby and Anya outside with me to sit in a cold but clear of snow and dry sheltered patio in the grounds by the castle. 

I was enjoying the sharp, crisp air while Anya snuggled under a mountain of blankets with Gaby, her keen eyes, and pink tipped nose just visible. 

"So Rose, looking forward to your introduction ball?" Asked Anya out of the blue,

"My what?" I asked caught off guard, 

"Well technically it's official name is something like The Royal court introduction, or maybe it was something else? I pretty sure there's something about mates in it." Any trailed off trying to think. 

"Wait, what ball?" I asked again, 

"Hasn't Nicholas said anything to you?" asked Gaby a little surprised.

I school my head, feeling a riot of very mixed emotions, the majority nerves and trepidation. 

"Well, It'll be your first official introduction to the Royal court, announcing you as Nicholas' mate and as Queen, but your official coronation and crowning will happen when you Nicholas get married, whenever you two decide to do that."

"Ok well rewind, lets just focus on the ball rather than the marriage stuff right now." I said nervously, "When is it?"

"Um, I think Nicholas was planning on having this coming week. Many of the diplomats felt you should be thrust into everything as soon as you arrived, but Nicholas fended them off saying you needed time to adjust and settle." 

I smiled, grateful to the thoughtfulness of my mate.

"I think he just didn't want to share you, have you all to himself." Smirked Anya.

I rolled my eyes, "I kinda agree with you there Anya, as much as I love him, he is a possessive arse." I laughed.

Both Anya and Gaby were staring at me in shock but also with massive grins.

"What!" I asked suddenly weary, "I haven't got something on my face have I?"

"No, but you just said you love Nicholas." said Gaby grinning,

"I did? Are you sure?" 

Oh my goddess I really did! I loved Nicholas. I felt my cheeks warm as I blushed furiously.

"Well it's obvious." Said Anya bluntly, "Anyone can see that you're both mad about each other." 

"Do I tell him?" I asked nervously, 

"Well duh!" Said Anya laughing, "But be warned they will use it against you! Val can be a real pain in the backside sometimes and he uses the love thing against me. Sometimes I wish I had never told him." She said crossing her arms.

"No you don't." Said Gaby, "You Anya, as much as you may deny it are also mad about your mate."