An Agreement to Unexpected Terms

Shirayuki had shown Akari her quarters, offering up her own bed. But the valkyrie refused, claiming that she never slept.

"You don't sleep?"

"No. There is no need for it when it comes to me. I only watch what shifts in the darkness after my mistress locks me up for the night."

"That doesn't sound good. Please, I insist you sleep."

"I will be fine. I am not a human. I do not need rest as you do. You are probably rather exhausted. Do not waste your warm blankets and soft pillows on me."

"But—"

"No. Sleep."

She turned her back to the redhead as she stared at her with a tinge of sadness in her eyes.

"You're going to leave... aren't you? Even though you said you weren't going to."

Akari could feel the disappointment reflecting off of her tongue. After setting her free, Shirayuki feared that she would just leave and... it was true. She did plan on leaving from everyone's sights; sticking to the shadows and watching until the time was right again. But for some odd reason, whatever it may have been, her heart changed. She turned her head back towards her slightly so that she could only see the small glimmer in her crimson eyes.

"I shall not leave this castle without your knowledge. You have my word."

The herbalist's face seemed to light up, which caused the other girl's eyes to widen slightly. Why was she so happy?

"So that means you're not going anywhere for the night?"

"I did not tell you I am leaving, did I?"

"No..."

"Then you have nothing to fear except fear itself."

That made her feel at ease.

As Shirayuki settled into bed, Akari brought the covers up and pulled them over her torso, tucking her in as though she were an infant.

"Now sleep. Your body still needs some time to recover from the poison. I put you through quite the ordeal tonight."

"Yes you did. But I'm not angry at you for it." A hint of doubt lingered in the Castanic's eyes. But then... "I'm actually grateful." That doubt washed away. "You may have tried to kidnap me, but... you were driven by something dark. Something that didn't deserve you because no one had ever shown you kindness before. But I understand. It's easy to stray when you have no good guidance. You guided yourself, though. You guided yourself and did something good. That's why I'm grateful..." She was becoming more drowsy by the second. "Because you're here... to... make sure I'm..." She yawned. "Okay..." She dozed off.

Akari took a step back; her muscles tense and a bit uneasy. She thought she cared for her... there was definitely a sense of flattery in that thought.

She lifted up her hand and stared at her palm.

Ever since she took hold of her hand and accepted her kindness... she felt softer around the girl who was supposed to have her soul swapped with her mistress. Once again, she felt powerless for no good reason. She clenched her teeth, finding that she needed some air. So she climbed up onto the window sill, quietly opened one of the two windows, and left her room without a sound.

The next morning, Shirayuki woke up to the sun shining in her eyes. They fluttered open and she sat up, stretching.

"Good morning, Akari." Her emerald eyes searched the room, finding no one there but herself. "Akari?" She suddenly became worried. The redhead threw the covers off of her body, sprinting outside.

"Akari?! Akari?!"

"There is no need to scream." The girl dressed all in black jumped down from a tree, landing perfectly on her feet. "I am right here."

"Oh thank goodness!" She sprinted towards her, stopping before she had the chance to slam her body into her. "I thought you left without telling me!"

"I gave you my word. I will not leave the castle without letting you know. I do not break my promises."

"Well... okay."

"Shirayuki!" Another voice could be heard. It was Zen. He sprinted towards the two of them. "Shirayuki, get behind me! She's dangerous!" He drew his sword.

"What? Zen, no! I'm not in danger, I swear. She's not going to hurt me."

"What do you mean?"

"I let her out last night."

"You... you what?"

"I let her out of that nasty cell you stuck her in. She didn't deserve that."

"She tried to kill all of us!"

"But she didn't!"

"Shirayuki, an assassination attempt on the second prince of Clarines is considered treason."

"I know that, but—"

"She must face trial."

"Zen." She stepped forward, taking the hand that wasn't holding his sword in hers. "She's different from us, influenced by something dark. Usually I wouldn't stand up for someone who tried to kill me, but... I have a good feeling about her. Just... give her a chance. Like you did for Obi. I don't think she's any different. Just a little less... charismatic."

He stared at her, then he stared at the girl who quite literally looked like the Devil.

"Zen..." She squeezed his hand a little tighter. "Please..."

He was now captivated by the green glow of pleading innocence shimmering in her irises. The hand around his sword tightened, until he finally let it loosen. He sheathed it at his side and sighed, planting a kiss on her knuckles.

"Okay. But I want her to dress as though she were a soldier here all her life. No paint shrouding her face or bandit garments."

"These paintings are sacred to my people—"

"If you want to stay out of that cell and earn our trust, you will adhere to my terms."

"At least let her keep some..." Shirayuki pleaded. Another sigh from the prince.

"Very well. But none that will disguise your face." He turned back to the valkyrie. "And you are not to be allowed weapons unless I say so. You will stay by my side or my aides' sides at all times throughout the day, and you will be situated as far away from Shirayuki as possible. Do I make myself clear?"

Now both of them stared at her as they awaited her response. She pondered these terms. She truly didn't want to be forced to adjust to this bright and cheery kingdom, but... if she were to gain their trust and later strike again... it wouldn't be as much of a failure as it was the first time.

Akari nodded.

"Very well. I shall agree to your terms..." She took a knee, bowing her head. "Your Highness."