A Theory

It was after dinner when Zen decided that he wanted to spend more time with Nanami. They strolled through the medicinal herb garden, which was lit up by lamps nearby.

"So tell me about your culture and your people."

"I know only as much as you do." She admitted. "The furthest memory I can recall is when I was a child waking up in a black void. Madame trained me in magic and combat for a while then let me off on my own. She gave me the glaive I use when I was finally big enough to hold it."

"Oh yeah. I heard from Obi that you told him you were created from scratch. That's why you're immortal."

"Immortal until struck so badly that I am killed. So I suppose I am vulnerable. But... I am beginning to believe that maybe I was not created from scratch."

"Oh? Why is that?"

"I do not know... I am not sure if I should tell you. It might seem... weird."

"Please. Nanami, you're a girl with pointed ears and horns who can use the power of the moon to take out a whole army of evil creatures. Nothing's weirder than that."

"If you say so. It is just... I have been having odd dreams as of late. I appear with a contrast of colors in my dreams."

"What do you mean?"

"I am referring to my appearance."

"Like... the way you're changing colors?"

"Yes. Exactly like that." She touched the top of her head, feeling self conscious about her silver hair. "I feel that it may have had something to do with the moon ritual or perhaps... my past. I believe that I had a life before serving Madame. I just cannot remember."

"Alright... what else is in your dreams?"

"Well... I am always in a flower field with a pond, so I can look at myself. And there is always a Castanic man and woman there. They both look very familiar. They were rather nurturing and insisted on calling me Nanami."

"So that's why you've wanted everyone to call you Nanami. Because they called you that and you think it might've been your name before."

"Exactly."

"Hm. Well... did they tell you who they were? What they are to you?"

"They refuse to answer me about that. They said that I know who they are. I just have to remember. But I... cannot."

"Maybe you've overlooked it."

"How so?"

"Well... maybe they're your parents."

"My... parents?" Her different colored eyes widened.

"Yeah. You said they seemed nurturing; that they knew your name."

"Yes, yes. They both kept on calling me their 'sweet little Nanami.'"

"Okay. And they both said you should remember them. I mean... who forgets their parents? Wait, wait, that came out wrong." Zen started to sweat, thinking he'd offended her. But she waved it off, hardly thinking anything of his words.

"I know what you mean. Now that you speak of it, I must admit that I did look like a them. We all shared the same blue eyes. I had the same horns and silver-based hair as the woman, yet I also had the same blue colored hair streaks as the man. Our facials features were also rather similar. So if they truly are my parents... I must contact them again! If this is true, I may finally be able to understand the truth! Thank you so much Zen, but I must hurry off to bed now. I must find out more."

He smiled, nodding. Without hesitation, the Castanic bolted for her new room. What blood was pumping in her veins was sheer adrenaline. She wanted to see these people again. She was doubtful before, but now she knew they could get her closer to unravelling her past.

But, it seemed that whenever she ran through the castle, she always had to be stopped by the oh-so charming Obi.

"Hey! Akar—er—Nanami!" He called out to her, but she didn't stop running. Curiosity peaked, he swung from the tree he was sitting in, chasing after her. "Nanami? Hey! Nanami!"

"I must speak with them. I need to find out if they truly are my parents."

Nanami blocked out everything. Her mind was only keen on getting answers. Desperation wasn't usually like her; neither was urgency. But her eyes blazed with a newfound fire. It was so... uncharacteristic of her.

As she went to turn another corner, Obi caught her by the wrist, pulling her back towards him. She did a twirl before her back hit the wall; his hand pinning her small wrist above her head.

"Wow, quite the dancer, huh, Nanami?"

"Obi! Let me go! I have to be somewhere!"

"Like where?"

"My bed."

He raised a curious brow; a smirk tugging at the corner of his mouth.

"I've never seen anyone sprint to their bed with that much urgency. Not even the Master after he's stayed up late all night doing paperwork. You meeting someone there?"

"Wha—? No, idiot. Wipe that nasty smirk off your face."

He refused to remove the smirk from his lips. But he'd let her go, taking a step back.

"Alright, alright sure. So if you're not meeting anyone, why are you in such a hurry to get to your room?"

"I have had strange dreams as of late. They've shown me in a flower field dressed in a different way with two other Castanics who have been telling me... things."

"Things?"

"Yes, things. Zen suggests that they're my parents."

"Your parents? I thought you said your madame created you from scratch." His previous look of arrogance became one of concern.

"I thought she did, but now I find that she's a liar. And if they are my parents, I have a whole past I have yet to unravel. I've lived for centuries. There are so many memories I might have left behind."

"Left behind. Or they were stolen from you, maybe."

"Maybe. That is why I must go."

"Okay. Good luck, Nanami."

"Thank you, Obi."

Allowing her to pass this time, Obi watched as Nanami continued the sprint to her room.

As she entered the hallway that led to her chambers, she slowed down, catching her breath. She felt something odd in the pit of her stomach. Though she would never know what it was called, she was feeling an overwhelming sense of anxiousness. If she was right and now knew the truth, what would that mean for her? There was nothing she could possibly do with this particular piece of information.

As she entered her room, the Castanic gazed at her reflection in the mirror. She touched the tip of her horns. Her fingers gently slid down them, landing at the top of her head. Her hands continued down her head until she reached the side of her face. There, she stared directly into her own mismatched eyes. If she had a life before this one and looked so bright and pure... why did she became a figure of darkness? What made her become so cold and unkind?

With her heart rate slowed from the running, she sauntered over to her bed, climbing into the covers.

"I'm... changing."

Though no one was around to converse with her, she needed to hear the words for herself. She was changing, and though she couldn't admit it at the time, it was for the better.

With the thought of change in mind, she closed her eyes and entered her land of dreams.