"I want to know what happened." He began, taking off his seatbelt so he could easily turn to face me. "What's been going on with you?"

"Charlie I really don't know what you're talking about." I pleaded, the feeling of panic settling in my stomach like a weight pushing me down.

"I'm not going to let you leave until you tell me." He told me, a sincerity in his eyes that scared me a little. "Unless you want to break the door off."

I widened my eyes at him. "Are you crazy? I can't break doors! Let me out."

He shook his head. "There's only one way I'm going to let you out. I know you're lying about why you went away."

"Charlie, really, it's nothing! You're overreacting. You need to let me out, so I can go speak to Jackson." I insisted.

"Not until you tell me the truth." He persisted, "Is it Noah? Did he and his friends... do something to you? I'll help you out... we can go to the police...?"

"No!" I gasped. "No, they didn't do anything to me! I am telling the truth, why can't you just accept that?"

"Emilia, I'm sorry. Really, I am." He sighed, running a hand back through his hair. "But I can't keep pretending that everything is fine and normal when it isn't – I'm not going to tell anyone, I promise. You can trust me."

I was utterly speechless, what could I even say to him? I got the feeling that there was absolutely nothing I could say to him that would make him agree to let it go.

He reached a hand across to me, hesitant for a second, before grabbing my hand, which was resting on my thigh. He held it tightly. I didn't want to risk pulling my hand back, I had never thought before at just how fragile a human hand is... especially compared to how strong I had become – one wrong move and I'd break it.

"I know it must be hard for you to let me in." He started, beginning to rub his thumb against the back of my hand – like Noah had to give me the confidence to jump off of that ledge. But when Charlie did it it felt foreign, not comforting – I felt repulsed, having to restrain myself from throwing it off of me. "But you can trust me."

Charlie locked his gaze with mine, his eyes softened, reminding me of a puppy begging for food.

Tap.

We both looked up quickly at the source of the noise. Stood outside of the car, stood Andrew, tapping lightly on Charlie's driver-side window. He seemed awfully happy, sending me a big grin as Charlie reluctantly rolled down the window. I couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief, somehow relieved at his presence.

Andrew leaned on the frame, trapping it so that Charlie couldn't roll it back up. "Hey, Emilia." He greeted. "This guy bothering you?"

Charlie scowled. "We were just having a chat – it's none of your business, actually."

Andrew only laughed. "It is, actually."

With that, he leaned down and flicked the switch that unlocked the doors. "Hey!" Charlie exclaimed.

Quickly, I opened the door on my side and slid out, taking advantage of the surprise that made Charlie loosen his grip on my hand.

I paused outside the door, turning to face Charlie, who appeared to be sulking. "I'm sorry Charlie. Even if I wanted to... I can't give you an explanation. You... have no idea of the consequences I'd have to face."

I shut the door behind me, and Andrew hurried to my side, accompanying me inside the shop. I noticed that he seemed to keep a watchful eye on Charlie as we walked.