.5.

"Was there a reason for you coming over?" I asked Adam.

He shrugged. "Just wanted to check on my little sis!" Adam joked. "No I came to give this back to you." He said seriously. He handed me a black leather notebook with the red Monkees logo on the front. I took it from him slowly. I prayed that he hadn't read it. Any of it! Panic rose from the pit of my stomach.

"Where did you find this?" I asked.

"It fell out of your bag at my house." Adam said. "I know your always writing a book in it, and you keep encouraging me to read your works; So I opened it and read it." Adam was unsure of how I would react to him reading a story that was about him. In truth I wasn't sure how to react either. I hadn't thought he'd ever find it, much less read it! I was angry he had infiltrated my personal thoughts but more so I was embarrassed and concerned for my friendship.

"Um, John would you mind leaving the room for a minute?" I whispered. Surprisingly John didn't argue. He stood quietly and sauntered out of the room.

"I'm sorry." Adam said sadly.

"For what?" The emotions were overwhelming. I was shaking and I felt light headed.

"Don't play that game, Jule. I'm sorry for reading your book with out permission." Adam said with genuine sadness.

I took a few deep breaths to calm myself down. "I forgive you." I said and even managed a smile.

"So....." Adam trailed. "Am I correct in assuming that your 'Michael' character is me?"

I sighed. "Yes, Michael is you." I confessed.

"And Ariel...?"

"She's Cali."

"So Anna is-" Adam started, but I cut him off.

"You know, That's really none of your business!" I said impatiently .

Adam sat back in his seat. I burrowed my face in my hands. 

"I see." Adam sighed, and then stood from his seat at the table. He walked over to me slowly and kissed me on the top of my head [A gesture featured in the book.].

"Oh, by the way, I loved the ending." Adam said at the kitchen door. I heard him and John exchange goodbyes and I heard Adam let himself out. I didn't hear John walk into the kitchen and sit in the chair beside me. 

I looked up to John starring intently at me as I groaned.

"So....You do like him?" He asked.

"No, and this is really not the time." I snapped at him.

John sat back in his chair.

"Well, what happens at the end of the book?"

"You were eavesdropping!?" I inquired.

John scoffed. "I wouldn't call it that. You two weren't exactly whispering." John explained.

I sighed. What he said was true. We hadn't been very quiet. "Well, at the end of the book , Michael and Ariel decide that they shouldn't get married. Because they realize that if they get married it would be awkward for Anna. So the three live the rest of their days as just friends. Kind of like the end of St. Elmo's Fire." I said.

"St. Elmo's What?" John asked.

"St. Elmo's Fire. It's a 1989 movie about seven friends and their struggles. Lot's of Sex, drugs, and cussing, you'd like it." I teased him.

"Ha ha Very funny. Am I really known for being a pervert?" John asked.

I laughed.

"No just to some people. You're famous in my family....Or you're famous to me for having such great ideas on peace and such. I just like to toy with you."

"Oh good!" John laughed.

"But I must tell you that I am a Christian so I don't agree with you on some stuff." I warned him.

"Eh I don't really have anything against Christians anymore. I mean after their riot I was offended by them but it's been forty years so i'm done being angry." John agreed.

"I'm glad. So you don't mind that our religions are different?"

"Everyone has a different religion. I don't mind a cent!"  John smiled at me.

"That's great!" I laughed.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The rest of the day was spent getting to know each other, and that night I showed him my Beatles Rock Band game. John marveled at how the cartoons looked almost just like him. He sang every song and received perfect scores on every one.

The last song he was sung by George. 'Here Comes the Sun.' John let it play through without singing a word.

"Hey come on!" I complained. "We got only one star from me drumming!" I turned around and noticed that John was silently crying. I stood from the plastic drums and walked over to John and sat beside him on the couch. I took his hand in mine.

"Imagine Adam. He's in a hospital, lying on his death bed. You're sitting beside him as he takes his last breaths. But you're not sad because you're a spirit. And finally your best mate will be one too. You get a surge of energy when the monitor levels. But nothing happens. You wait for hours and days for George's spirit to appear but it doesn't and you realize you'll never be able to say good bye to your best friend. It's terrible, Julian. Death is terrible! " This was the first time I'd ever seen John really emotional.

I leaned in to hug him, but he squirmed out of my reach and walked out. I heard him lock himself in my bathroom. I thought about what he had said, and the confusion of the day as I made him a bed on the couch and went to my room to go to sleep. I had a tough time of it because I could here John sobbing in the next room. I cried with him that night for my own reasons.