My Only Hope

My pebble broke through the water's surface, causing a rippling effect to be set in motion. The way the world works is actually quite interesting. It's the only reason I've survived until this day. I've always wanted to learn about this world, but not enough to want to stay. My fascination is my only hope, but it's slipping away gradually. I'm running out of hope every second I breathe.

"That reminds me of our skin, ya know? The rock represents the blade, the water is our skin," Kellin said, startling me.

"Why do you always show up from out of nowhere?" I questioned. He just shrugged, giving me a mischievous grin.

"I like scaring you!" And then I questioned Kellin himself.

How could a guy so nice and sweet as Kellin be so depressed? Why did he have all these cuts and dark thoughts? He always seemed so perky and full of life, unlike me. And most importantly, why would anyone want to be friends with a loser like me? I don't think I'll ever get it, but hey, it's Kellin's choice.

He picked up some rocks resting in the dirt and threw them into the water, each one going a substantial amount of inches.

"Impressive," I said. Something about Kellin made me feel...different. And I liked it.

I liked how I could be honest with him about anything. He's the only living soul who knows about my secret, and from the looks of it, he doesn't plan on telling anyone about it. He also brought out the little fragment of the good left inside. That feeling of happiness was coming back, and man was I overjoyed. But I was also depressed, and getting out of depression isn't that simple.

"Why do you cut?" I called out before I could keep my question confidential. He quirked his eyebrows.

"My family life, bullying...I just hate myself," He said, and I instantly regretted asking him. His usual, happy tone dropped and then I saw the Kellin that was struggling. His face shifted, and I could tell desolation was his main problem. So out of instinct, I reached forward and grabbed his hand. It was warm, probably because before hand, he was clutching rocks and throwing them. I squeezed his hand reassuringly and he smiled at me.

"That's the Kellin I like," I said, letting go. I looked back a few moments later to see Kellin continuously eyeing me. He was making me anxious. Self consciously, I bit my lip and looked away from him. But of course, when I looked back, he was still eyeing me. I couldn't bear it anymore.

"What? Why do you keep looking at me?" I said and confined the rest by biting down on my lip, hard. His eyes were glazed with amusement, and I immediately knew he liked making me feel uncomfortable. His eyes met mine after a moment, then they flashed down to my lips. Oh god.

"Can I just..." He said, trailing off as I looked back. "What the hell," He muttered more so to himself before closing the small gap between us.

Kellin planted his lips on mine softly and moved slowly, tortuously. Never had I been kissed by anyone before, so this was new to me. I pulled away quickly.

"S-sorry...I've never, been k-kissed..." I shook my head and started to stand up. "Sorry it's just...stupid, I gotta go." I said, but his hand gripped my wrist.