Going Home to Nothing

Your pov:

Natsuki and I headed to our house. Monika had left first, oddly enough. She was fidgiting a lot and nearly ran out of the club room at the sound of the bell. The house appeared in the distance. Thankfully, no cars were in the driveway or parked on the street.

We headed inside. I handed my bag to Natsuki and went to the kitchen to start on dinner for when he did come back. I seasoned a t-bone steak and set it in a pan. I heard the bedroom door open and Natsuki gasp. I ran up the stairs and found her standing outside our rooms, "What's the matter?" She pointed inside the room, "Look for yourself." Both rooms were completely empty. All of the furniture was gone and the walls were painted over with white. I turned to her, "Well, just sit on the floor and do your homework for now, Ok?" She nodded and headed into her room.

I headed back downstairs and into the kitchen. I flipped the steak and started making some mashed potatoes and asparagus. I plated the steak, mashed potatoes, and asparagus. I drizzled some gravy over the potatoes and placed the plate on the table. I grabbed a wine glass and filled with red wine. I sat the glass in front of the plate and turned on the light over the table. I quickly cleaned up and put everything away. As I closed the cabinet, I heard the sound of a car door closing. I hurried out of the kitchen and went upstairs to Natsuki's room. She went to talk but I shushed her. I grabbed our stuff and put it in her closet.

I pushed her into the closet and closed it. In this house, all of the closets, besides the bathroom and master bedroom ones, have a pull down ladder to the attic. I quickly pulled it down and ushered Natsuki up as I heard the front door open. I handed her the bags as I heard footsteps pass the kitchen and come towards the stairs. I climbed up as the footsteps turned into running up the stairs. I got up to the top and closed the hatch as the bedroom door slammed open.

We went silent as we heard his footsteps pacing the room. The footsteps stopped, then proceeded towards the closet we just escaped from. He chuckled and the sound of the door being yanked open resounded in my ears. He growled in anger and left the room. We could here him tearing up the house looming for us. I took off my shoes and quietly locked each hatch to the attic. We sat against the wall of the attic and eventually fell asleep.

When I woke up, the sun was rising. I looked outside the attic window and checked for his car. It was not in the driveway. I looked up and down both sides of what I could see of the street. It wasn't there either. I listened for any sounds but heard nothing. I quietly opened the hatch we came in through and went down. I hurried and grabbed some more clothes, an extra uniform, a bottle of perfume, and some deodorant for Natsuki and myself. I hurried back up the ladder and locked the hatch.

I changed into a new uniform and put on my socks from yesterday along with my shoes. I shook Natsuki awake. She jumped but relaxed when she saw it was me. I handed her the clothes, "Get changed. We have to leave soon." She hurried and changed before fixing her hair.

We grabbed our bags and hurried downstairs. My eyes widened as I saw the state of the house. Furniture was flipped, pictures were smashed and on the ground, the coffee table was on its side. We hurried out of the house and made our way to the bus stop.