Chapter Eight: Oct 2, 2017 - Regina

It was late in the evening again, and two days had already passed since she had arrived in the northern realm. She met a few prospective men, but as she expected, she felt nothing for them. They didn't spark in her any of the feelings she had read so much about in her romance books.

She peered around her expansive guest room, ensuring she was alone, and pulled out the pocket mirror that she always carried on her now. When she opened it, the glass immediately popped out and shifted into the form of Graham right in front of her.

"Good evening, my Queen. You look beautiful. How is your trip going?" Graham asked, his tone sickeningly uplifting.

"It isn't going very well," Regina sighed. "If I don't find anyone in the next few days, I'll need to come up with a story for who you are and how we met, and we can be together. Does that work for you?" Regina regretted asking him for permission, because she knew he'd do whatever she said. She created him, after all. He was part of her.

"That works perfectly, Your Majesty. I love you very much."

The words echoed in her ears, setting them on fire. Instead of feeling light from his words or smiling, all she felt was emptiness and the burning sensation building up inside of her as she grew to resent herself for what she was doing.

She swallowed back the self-loathing and a shiver raced down her spine as she whispered, "But I cannot love you in return."

"That is okay, Your Majesty. I love you regardless. You're very, very beautiful."

Regina understood now. Graham could only understand what Regina taught him to understand, aside from things he knew based on mere appearances. And since she didn't know what love was, neither did he. Not truly. He only knew of admiration for her appearance.

"Just because someone is attractive doesn't make them beautiful, Graham. And it certainly doesn't constitute love."

"Yes, it does. You're the most beautiful woman in all the realms. And I love you, Regina."

She sighed, opening the empty pocket mirror again, forcing Graham back inside of it. She wanted to throw it against the wall, a dark smirk appearing on her face as she envisioned the pocket mirror shattering into small pieces across the floor. Then she remembered that this was her fault.

The heavy feeling of remorse pressed down hard on her chest, making it hard for her to breathe as she stared up at the ceiling in the dark, waiting for a deep sleep to eventually consume her and quiet her mind.