1 ~ Socially Digested

First Day; Definition? The two words I had been dreading all summer holiday.

The first thing I did when I got up, was weigh myself; I was officially 90 pounds, and therefore, I was ready for my new high school. Or as ready as I'll ever be, in any case. I noticed as I was packing my bag that it felt like a pop quiz:

What should Alice put in her bag for her first, and worst day of school?;

A: Some suspiciously bright coloured weight loss pills?

B: Some baggy gym clothes that even Gok Wan couldn't make fashionable?

C: Some notebooks that would most likely still be empty by the end of the day?

D: Alice is ugly, and therefore should take a paper bag to put over her head?

Or E: All of the above.

I went with E.

After I had hoovered the carpet for exactly one hour and taken a much needed shower, I slung my backpack over my shoulder. I tiptoed carefully past my mothers room and softly plodded down the stairs. I reached the front door, and tried to imagine myself opening it. I couldn't. I wasn't ashamed to admit I was scared.

"Pull yourself together you ugly bitch." I whispered to myself, and with that, I opened the door.

**********

Breath in, breath out, and repeat. This is what I told myself over and over as I stared at the gates to the school that would only lead to a replay of the last couple of months. Dreary walls and I-hate-my-job teachers met each student at the black peeling doors with a happy face. Straightening out the tassels on my hoodie to a symmetrical length, I approached the school entrance.

A bald man that strongly resembled a basset hound greeted me. "Hello miss, ah-," He fumbled through the pages of his book for my name and my picture. "Oh who am I kidding?" I jumped at the angry tone in his voice. "None of you kids care. Just go inside for christ sakes."

And then he walked off mumbling something about broken dreams, leaving me in shock. What kind of place is this? A prison for juveniles?

I self consciously wrapped my arms around my hoodie-jean clad body, earning pitying looks from te passing students. I hung my head; the walk to the opening assembly was starting to feel like the walk of shame. Fitting, because I was ashamed of myself.

I followed the groups of students like an invisible tag-along, when finally, we entered The Hall. I don't really know if it had a name, but from what I could gather a name for a hall was too fancy for this school. Teachers bumbled hopelessly like pigeons, attempting to hustle us into outer seats. When the babbling had died down, a podgy forty-something woman stepped forward.

The first thing I thought, was that she had meant to go to a Peace seminar but somehow gotten lost. In other words; way too happy.

"Hel-lo you wonderful people! Tell me how excited you are to be here?" She squealed, clapping her hands together.

"Very excited Miss," I chanted along with the rest of the students.

The teacher giggled hysterically. "And you're going to work hard, yes?"

Again, we chanted like Zombies. "Of course, Miss,"

She spun around in a circle like a pink fairy, and unfolded a piece of paper from her pocket. "Right then, I have a list of rules." a groan resounded from the bored mouths of the students. Obliviously, the teacher continued. "No drinking, No chewing, No graffiti, No sex of any kind, No setting fire to school property and finally, no disrespect to any member of staff. You will all abide by these rules, yes?"