Chapter Eleven: Posters

I stood staring at the large posters pasted to the front of the school.

Mr. Nishimoto Getting Some 'Study Time' With School's Number One Bad-Ass: Joshua Brown!

Brown Is Secretly Gay!

The Jessica X Joshua Relationship is a Cover-up!

Local Teacher Hits On High school Student!

All of these signs and more were posted up on the front of the school. I stared at them in shock. Pictures of yesterday were posted all over the school, each headlining title more inappropriate than before.

"Wow...whoever did this—I can bet their art grade is horrible—their creativity isn't very enticing," said Sam coming up behind me. I glared at him over my shoulder and opened my mouth to snap at him, but Sam was immediately swarmed by a bunch of people, teachers and students alike.

"Are you two an item?"

"Are you insane?!"

"Why did you choose a man over a woman?"

"Would you call this a case of pedophilia?"

"Is Josh a good kisser?"

"Have you had sex together yet?"

I flushed a bright red and turned from the school, running through the crowd. No one seemed to notice me for once. They were all too preoccupied with Sam and his calm demeanor about the whole thing. I was just a nobody now. Now that my secret was out, I was no longer so impressive a figurehead. I knew I only had one place to turn to for comfort.

* * *

"Way to go, dude," said David, disturbing what little peace I had found on the roof. I glared at him.

"Go away!" I snapped at him. He shook his head.

"Wow, just one moment of fame and you're already a bastard," he replied coolly. I could see the signs of the inevitable. David was a homophobe. He didn't like gays, and he never did. That's why I never confided in him. I turned my back on him.

"Just leave me alone David before my mere presence makes you sick!" I snapped at him sarcastically. He shook his head in disbelief.

"Why didn't you tell me?" he asked me. "I may not like gays, but it's not like I would have snitched on you—"

"I know that!" I told him. "Do you know how awkward it is to even be in the same room with someone you hate, yet have to love?!" I shook my head. "Just be lucky I'm in a merciful mood—just get off of my roof!" I snapped at him. David took a step towards me but I threw a discarded pipe at him. It clattered at his feet and David jumped backwards. He turned from me and rushed off, leaving me feeling more miserable than I had felt before.

Dammit...why doesn't everyone just leave me alone?! I thought furiously, tearing at my hair. I shook my head.

"Why did I turn out this way..." I muttered to myself, hugging myself in desperation. I heard the roof door open and I turned to tell off the person who had entered my sanctuary, but I closed my mouth when Sam gave me a sad smile.

"Sorry...this is all my fault," he told me. I shook my head at him.

"Don't say that...I just wish I could have controlled my emotions better," I told him, angry at my own weakness. Sam shrugged.

"Even if you had rejected me, I don't think I could have contained myself," Sam admitted. I looked away from him.

"What are we going to do?" I asked him. He shrugged.