Chapter Nine: Not Everything

I sat in detention once again, staring at Sam with a glare. How was I supposed to know that Mr. Burlin was listening while I was singing Avenged Sevenfold? That old bastard should just get to doing his paperwork instead of stalking teenage boys!

"When are you going to learn that the f-word is a pretty serious thing to say in school," said Sam. I glared at him and told him exactly what I thought of school. His eyes widened at my specific choice of words.

"You've got very eloquent speech, Joshua," he said, smirking. "Did Adam teach you that?" he asked me. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I already asked you never to mention him to me again," I snapped at him. He sighed, shrugging.

"Alright...I apologize," said Sam exasperatedly. "I know you're mad at your brother—but couldn't you try to forgive him?" asked Sam pleadingly. I glared at him.

"No," I told him coldly. Sam brushed back his bangs with an impatient hand. He stared at me sternly.

"I know he did you wrong, but couldn't you bury the hatchet?" asked Sam. I shook my head at him.

"What he did to me was inexcusable—I won't forgive him so easily," I replied back coolly. Sam put his hand on my desk, leaning down to stare at me.

"Stop being so childish," he told me coldly. I swallowed hard, but my gaze on him did not falter. "Leaving someone behind may be a bad idea, but it is not the worst thing a person can do to another—hell, people do it all of the time! Get used to it, Joshua!" he snapped. I gave him a scrutinizing glare.

"Aren't you Mr. Cynical tonight," I noted, sarcastically. “And where did a teacher learn to swear like a student? Don't lose your composure, sir, just because a child pushed you too far.”

Sam straightened up silently, running a hand back through his hair. He turned back to me in exasperation.

"If you can't forgive him for your own profit, then at least do it for me! You and your brother were some of my best friends—I don't want to see you two tearing each other apart!" he cried. I closed my mouth firmly, looking away from his brilliant, hazel eyes.

He doesn't know, I thought to myself, half-shocked, half-relieved. My heart gave a big squeeze as the onslaught of emotions hit me. How could Adam have kept such a huge secret from his best friend? Then again...this saved me lots of trouble...so maybe it was a blessing in disguise. Sam sighed again, rubbing his temples together.

"You've changed, Joshua," he said weakly. "You've changed too much." Sam collapsed back at his teacher's desk. I stiffened angrily, leaving my own desk to come stand in front of him.

"Forgive me for outgrowing my ignorance, sir," I grumbled sarcastically. Sam saw my discomfort and gave me a tried smile.

"I"m not chastising you for maturing, Joshua, I'm sad that you outgrew your happiness," he told me. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Happiness is overrated. The only things that matters in this world are money and power," I told him coolly.

"You don't want to just survive, Joshua, you want to live! Haven't you ever thought about what you want in life?"

"As I said before, one's own happiness does not—"

"Then why are you even here?!" cried Sam. He stood up from his desk, overturning his chair and snatching up the front of my shirt.

"Bastard! If life is so unimportant to you, then why are you still alive?!" snapped Sam furiously.

"I never said—"