Chapter Five: My Secret

"Sorry to keep you waiting," I said to Jessica, coming out of the school building. She smiled at me.

"No worries, I actually just came out of the art building. I had to go back and talk to Mr. Suazo about the modeling project," she told me. I looked at her with curiosity.

"What are you guys doing for the show?" I asked her. She gave me a sly smile.

"Well, we're supposed to be doing pictures for the art show, and I was hoping to bring in a nude model after school," she told me. I raised my eyebrow at that comment.

"Really? Who is going to pose for you?" I asked her. She gave me a large grin.

"You, silly!" she told me. I shook my head.

"Nope, not me," I told her quickly. She glared at me.

"Why not?! It's not like I'm going to have you display your junk for everyone to see," she snapped. I glared at her. "I'm actually really insecure about my body," I told her. She shook her head.

"Why? You're flawless. The only issue I may have with your body is—"

"I don't need the smoking lecture again, Jessica," I told her, cutting her off. She pouted for a moment.

"Well, it is horrible to your body," she said softly. I shook my head at her exasperatedly, starting towards the front gate of the school.

"Let's go, I'll buy dinner for today," I told her.

* * *

"What? You used to know Mr. Nishimoto personally?!" asked Jessica in surprise. I nodded.

"He used to know my older brother," I said to her. She looked at me in shock.

"Sam...that's his first name—used to treat me like his own sibling. He taught me how to shoot a gun, which was something I had continuously begged my father to do to no avail. Sam also helped teach me my studies so that I knew as much as they did on the subject of algebra." I gave a small chuckle. "In a way, he was family to me. The other boys were kind to me, but Sam was the person I was closest to in the gang, aside from my own brother," I told her. I shrugged.

"One day he just up and disappeared. I don't know where he went, but I thought I would never see him again. It turned out he had already gone to college and taken courses to be a teacher. I saw him again at River High a couple years after he left." I smiled weakly.

"I was so relieved to see him again—it was like a missing link of my family had finally returned to my life." Jessica listened to me silently. She gave me a small smile.

"I didn't know you had a brother. I know you have a sister, but I thought she was your only family," said Jessica. I nodded.

"His name was Adam. He was seven years older than me. He left when I was just about to go into middle-school, and he left for China to become a doctor," I said to her. She placed her chin on her hands thoughtfully.

"Were you two really close?" she asked me. Before I answered, several memories flashed through my mind. The times Adam and I escaped school to go to the abandoned cabin hidden deep within the forest behind the city limits. The times that Adam and I snuck out of the house to hang out with some of his high school friends, Mr. Nishimoto included. The last night Adam and I were on good terms—and the same night he took everything from me.

"Yes...you could say that," I said to her softly. She nodded at me. She gave me a smile.

"What was he like?" she asked me. I thought back on the hours together, the ones where we were still happy.