Aiden raised a hand in a reassuring gesture, palm out. It was a fluid, graceful motion, and Sky could imagine how quick-fingered he was when he cast spells, conjuring magic like a dancer moved to music with his long, pale fingers.

Sky suddenly forgot how to put words together. What had she been thinking to come here? Now she didn't even know what to say, let alone carry a conversation.

"I didn't mean to startle you," Aiden said. "I was wondering if you were looking for anything special that I could help with."

For a heartbeat or two, Sky remained motionless. Then she held up the candles.

"For Mabon," she said.

She waved the coupon as well and Aiden's eyes brightened.

"So you're Sky Sangrey," he said. "I've heard generous praise for your tearoom from a number of my customers recently. It's been a long time since I've had my tea leaves read. I'm about due for a visit."

A blush crept up Sky's neck, along with a few faces that came to mind who might be singing her praises, one of which was her mother.

There were rules against casting spells on other witches or warlocks. Otherwise, Wildemoor would be a battlefield of spells, hexes, and jinxes. But there were no rules regarding poor attempts at matchmaking.

"Well, I'm still getting my feet under me when it comes to running a business," Sky said.

"How long have you been open?"

"Two years."

Aiden waved her off. "You must know it all like the back of your hand by now. I should be coming to you for advice."

Sky swallowed and scrambled for a way to direct Aiden's attention somewhere besides herself. It was hard to think straight when he was looking at her so intently, as if what she had to say was fascinating. No one had ever looked at her that way. They looked past her. But not at her, especially not for any length of time. And certainly not like this.

Aiden gestured to the candles.

"Can I get you anything else? Or will that be all for you today?"

Sky went blank for a moment.

"Pennyroyal!" she blurted, a little too loud.

Aiden raised his eyebrows.

"Pennyroyal, please," Sky repeated, quieter this time. "About five ounces will do, thank you."

Aiden nodded and headed behind the counter where large Mason jars were lined up on shelves, filled with dried and powdered ingredients. Sky rubbed at her forehead with a grimace. She knew this wouldn't go well but it was even worse to have it come true right before her eyes.

Aiden measured out the dried pennyroyal into a black cloth bag, tied it with a glittery ribbon and placed it on the counter beside the candles. He rang up her total and Sky took refuge in the depths of her purse as she retrieved her wallet. It was easier to think as long as she wasn't looking at him.

Sky finally found her wallet and as she drew it out, her elbow bumped against the display case next to the register. Three small round bottles went rolling across the counter. One got caught on the edge of the case. The other bumped against the candles.

And the third bottle went rolling straight for the edge of the counter.

Sky dropped her wallet and scrambled to catch it at the same time Aiden reached for it. Her hand closed around the bottle first. His hand came to rest atop hers.

The cork slipped out and pink potion splashed all over the sleeve of Aiden's turtleneck, sending up a cloud of rose perfume.

Roses.

Roses for...

Love. Passion. Romance.

The tingle of magic sparked at the tips of Sky's fingers. Barely there. But warm all the same. Slowly, as if she was moving in a dream, she lifted the bottle to look at the dusky red label that arched across the curved glass.

LOVE POTION.

"Sweet Nicniven, this can't be happening," Sky whispered.

The comforting scent of cloves, cinnamon, and vanilla she had smelled upon her arrival at Spellbound now mingled with the scent of roses. It was too much, too thick and cloying.

Sky's head spun and she placed a hand against the counter to steady herself. Aiden reached out, fingers cupped to her elbow.

"Are you all right?" he said.

The smooth timbre of his voice snapped Sky from her horrified state of shock and she raised her gaze to Aiden's face.

The last remnants of her magic cooled, leaving her skin chilled, goosebumps rippling up her arms and along her shoulders. The spell was locked in place even though she hadn't meant to cast it. When she'd seen the bottle start to fall, she'd simply conjured the spell to stop the bottle, to mop up the potion.

She could feel the crisp crackle of energy lingering in the air as the spell settled over Aiden. It wasn't a particularly large spell, by no means impressive or strong.

But one look in Aiden's eyes was enough to confirm Sky's fears. The damage was done.

Aiden's pupils dilated, the corner of his mouth tipped up. And his hand was still on her elbow. Any other person she had just met would have released their grip on her arm long ago. But Aiden settled his thumb in the crook of her elbow, waiting for verbal confirmation that she was fine.

Sky couldn't bring herself to speak.

She had cast a spell. A love spell. Over none other than Aiden Hall, a handsome, powerful warlock from New York City.