Chapter 15: Payback

Start from the beginning

It lodged itself deep into the bark of a redwood. The red sap that made redwood famous oozed from the wound. Sighing I walked to the tree pulling the dagger free; the tip was dipped in the sap. The tree did nothing to me yet I let my anger get the better of me. I pressed my hand against the wound summoning my anger I pushed it into my palm the tree burned and smoked under my touch imprinting my hand deep to its core.

Removing my hand in its place was a black hand inches deep into the tree, I'm not sure why I did this particular thing but for some reason it seemed like the right thing to do.

“Ariya; there was nothing you could do. They also had orders to kill you on sight! Only a few of us were killed; and a few captured but we will survive,” I cut him off.

“Captured?” I gritted my extinguished anger returning.

“Yes, a few of the women and elders were taken.”

“Who,” My voice was low and scary.

“Only Morroe, Katarina, Dalence and a few others.” I closed my eyes trying to absorb the news without destroying a tree.

“We must save them,”

“Ariya, we can’t! They are surrounded by trained knights! We don’t have many warriors.”

“Well then how do you think we were going to win a war! Just hit them with pots and pans? NO! We must kill them; storm the castle to free this country. I never said any of this was going to be easy.” I hissed stalked towards where I’d left Moorwin.

“Ariya! You can’t do this by yourself! Let me help you! There’re a few of us who know how to wield a sword.”

“Fine, meet me with them in tow at where they are being held at sunset. You will know when to attack.” I told him my voice hard; lacking any emotion. Separating ways I continued towards Moorwin halting to grab my bow and arrows from a hallowed log; I’d known it was a good idea to leave them here.

Pushing the bow across my chest and the quiver over my shoulder I raced to Moorwin; reciting the story to him as I ran. He was just as furious as I was; no one messed with the people we cared about. Not anymore.

Climbing onto Moorwin’s back I told him of my plan. Neither of us knew much of how to battle or do any of those types of things. But it was now or never. He took off into the sky soaring; the sun had begun to set painting the sky a bloody red.

We cast shadows down onto the tops of the trees. A blazing fire pushed smoke into the sky; it had to be a bonfire. Directing Moorwin to land a ways away telling him I would be back; I had to scout out the area.

Just like I did coming upon the gypsy camp I slithered silently along, slipping between trees. Drawing my dagger from my boots voices began to become prominent as I approached the area. Hiding myself behind a massive redwood I spared a glance around it.

I was about twenty feet from the camp a few smaller saplings and bushes separated us. Making sure I was hidden in the shadows as darkness over came the camp as the moon took place of the sun.

The makeshift camp was crude. Tents had been shoddily pitched in a circle around a massive bonfire. Men tottered around in normal noble men clothing; their armor scattered around. I count a rough estimate of twenty five men. The prisoners were off the right of the camp; placed in a circle facing out their hands bound behind their backs. I recognized Morroe, Dalence and Katarina. Including them there was a total of ten prisoners.

Sighing I stepped back from the tree melting into the shadows. The crunching of leaves stopped me dead. I glanced left then right; a man passed just in front of me; he must be the guard. I held my position hoping to go unnoticed. But I didn’t; he started to call for help but I’d already had my dagger drawn. Lunging towards him threw him to the ground imbedding the dagger deep into his chest.