Chapter 32 - Pressure from below

Saturday, 9th August, 1986

Knebworth Park

-Okay boys, not so long now, they started to pack your stuff. – I said as I entered the dressing room. As so often, it was like a hive again and could feel the tension and excitement all around. John was sitting in a corner quietly talking to his wife, Roger and Freddie were in the middle of changing their clothes, the boys' ladies were also talking quietly in the other corner and Brian...I don't really remember where Brian was at that moment. Oh yes, I've seen him in the tuning room on my way back, tuning up his guitars.

-Did you tell CT to change my 20 inch Chinese crash? – Roger asked with his striped shirt in his hands.

-Yes, I did, but he already knew it's cracked anyway. – I answered, but wasn't really looking at him, because he was still half naked and I didn't want to give a chance to any accidents. He may have sensed it, because as I was turning to Freddie, I saw Roger to take on his striped shirt from the corner of my eyes – And Freddie, your regular mic has to be replaced for today, Ratty said there's something wrong with it.

-What's wrong? – he looked at me and I smiled back. He was also standing there half naked and though he also looked gorgeous, in his case I wasn't afraid of looking at him.

-Well, if you want to hear a long and boring explanation, then ask Ratty himself. Because I didn't understand a shit of what he was saying, only the conjunctions, like the, of and fuckin'.

-Lyvia dear, you're improving in the language, you've learnt to use the word shit regularly. – he laughed and I looked back a bit surprised, because I was waiting for the big Mercury-drama to burst out lasting for long minutes, with theatrical waves and "Fuck darling, I just can't do it with that fuckin' mic, Ratty has to repair my usual,I don't fuckin' care how, but now and immediately". Not that Freddie's replacement mic wasn't just exactly the same as his usual one.

-Well, I've got some good teachers. – finally I winked at him.

-Hell you do, the best ones. – he said as he took on his shirt quickly. I looked around in the dressing room what to fix quickly, but everything was fine at the moment so I took a water bottle from the buffet table and leant to it, having a big swallow.

-Shit, my back. – Roger stretched his arms and hands behind him.

-Do you need Fizz? – I asked.

-No, only maybe after the gig if it's getting worse. – he reached his hands up above his head to stretch again.

-Shit Rog, take that shirt off. – I rolled my eyes, put down the water bottle and reached for my bag. Everyone became silent and stared at me and for a long second, I didn't even understand why. In normal circumstances I've already been teased for this sentence, but now that all the ladies were around hearing what I just said...Freddie, being the dearest Freddie sensed everything and tried to save the situation:

-Lyvia darling, if you want to give him a blow job, then say it directly and I don't think he needs to take his shirt off for that. Speaking of the matter I believe John needs it more, not to mention Brian.

-What? – I looked at him confused, then rolled my eyes – Freddie, for fuck's sake, his shirt is ripped, can't you see?

-What? Where? – Roger started to examine his striped shirt. I sensed the change in the mood and in everyone's eyes as I stepped close to him with my sewing kit in my hand and lifted up his right arm.

-Here, your underarm. Haven't you seen it when you put it on?

-No. – he mumbled, turning his head in a funny way to search for the big hole. My heart filled with all my love, seeing my stupid, gorgeous blond being so unaware of such a tiny little detail like that hole on his shirt. That's so Roger, but I was quite sure if I didn't notice and he goes out to the stage like this, he'd immediately kick me in the arse for not letting him know. It doesn't matter he was the one not noticing and basically making himself ridiculous. Oh no, the appearance of Mr Rainbow Man just has to be perfect, no matter what. In some ways he's vainer than His Majesty King Mercury himself and this always makes me smile. Not that I don't love this side of him, too.