One

ASPEN

With finals finishing up and summer being just breaths away, an excited buzz filled each day. Encounter Camp was just two weeks from Sunday, and the moment every youth member at my church had been waiting for all semester was finally here.

Well, every member except for me.

In the past, I'd loved going to camp. It was a week with no phones, new friends, fun games, and of course, church service twice a day. But lately, I'd been feeling kinda burned out. The old fire I had for Christ was gone, and I didn't really care about living my life for him.

But no one else knew that.

On social media, I would post Bible verses as my captions. But that was mostly because my parents followed me and looked at everything I posted. I was a part of the youth band, but I couldn't remember the last time I actually worshipped. At this point, I was just going through the motions.

I didn't want to admit that I kind of needed this camp to rejuvenate and get my faith back to where it should be. I didn't want anyone to know that I needed help, because that would be like admitting that I was weak.

But if I'm being honest, I hadn't touched a Bible in months. The YouVersion app I had on my phone mostly sat there for appearances, not for usage. And I couldn't even remember the last time I'd prayed.

So, as you can see, I wasn't in the right place to be attending a church camp. Yet, my parents signed me up, not suspecting a thing. I really didn't want to go, but I also didn't really have a choice.

HOSEA

"I can't believe my baby is leaving me for a whole week!" My mom clung to me like she'd never see me again as we stood outside my bedroom door the night before camp.

"Oh come on, it's only seven days. And besides, I'm leaving for college soon, so you might as well get used to it," I reminded her.

"Ugh, don't remind me! What will I do without you?"

"Um, probably take care of Moses and Izabel?" I said, referencing my two younger siblings.

Moses, only two, took up a lot of my mom's time, and Izabel, an eighth grader, was just one year too young for camp.

"Oh right...the others," Mom said, and I laughed. "Are you sure you even want to go to this camp? You won't know anyone other than Israel."

Israel, my longtime best friend, had invited me to his new church's camp. Even though he lived in Iowa, his church drove a bus full of students out to Missouri for a nation-wide camp called Encounter.

Almost a year ago, Israel's family experienced some drama with our church, so they left discreetly and did some "church shopping" until they found The Crossing. Now, they went there every Sunday, and Israel was a big part of their youth group. He even played on a rotation in the youth band, with his bass guitar.

Finally, I told my mom, "I don't really mind. It'll be nice to meet some new people for once."

Earlier, I'd joked about going off to college, and I did feel sort of bad about it. My mom had homeschooled me all the way through since kindergarten, and in a few months, I would be moving two hours away, out of reach from her daily hugs and home-cooked meals and teaching. I could tell it was bothering her, so I tried to make light of it, but it didn't always help. To be honest, I was a little scared of going out on my own, too.

"You're right, it'll probably be a good experience... I just wish you were more involved with our church."

"Mom, I've told you before... After what happened with Israel's family, I don't really trust those people anymore. I mean, I'll still go and hear a message and worship, but I don't want to get involved in a church that was so rude to my best friend."

"I know, I know. I just don't want you to hold grudges in your heart. I want you to be able to forgive."

"And I will. I mean, I have. Either way, I just don't want to do stuff with them. We only have, what, ten youth anyway? So what would be the point?"

"Maybe you could be the one that changes things for them."

"Sometimes there's no changing people, Mom. Besides, I won't even be eligible for a youth group after this summer, since I'll be a college student."

"Oh, don't make me feel older than I already do!" she joked, wiping her forehead with her hand in mock distress.

I laughed. "Sorry, Mom. I'm just saying. I'm really excited for Encounter Camp, and I want you to be happy that I'm going, too."

"I am happy for you, son. I know you're going to learn and grow a lot this week."

"But?"

"Nothing, nothing, I'm just going to miss you. Now get to bed; you have an early morning ahead of you. We have to be at The Crossing at seven AM."

I wasn't about to argue that I could drive myself; I knew that Mom and the kids would want to say goodbye before I left. "I know, Mom. I'm going," I said, walking into my room and shouting out the door as I closed it: "Practically asleep already!"

I heard her giggle and shake her head. "Goodnight, Hosea."

"Night, Mom," I said against the door. "Love you."

Taking a look around the room, I made sure that I had everything packed that I needed to. When I affirmed that I did, in fact, have all that I needed, I let myself go to sleep, dreaming of the week's activities and all that God had laid out for me.