Chapter 13 - The Border

The following morning I was woken by screams, a horse licked Joshua’s face and we opened our eyes to find a hungry horse and an angry farmer with a gun.

Adam tried to resolve the misunderstanding, but it only ended in a lot of running. We all saw the funny side of it.

“I wonder if there are any markets nearby, or food.” Karin wondered.

My eyes widened as I noticed something, “Oh an apple tree!”
There were four apples, but they were on the highest branches.

“Get on my shoulders.” Adam suggested.

I jumped on his back and stretched my arms out, “I can’t reach, you’re not tall enough!”
“I’m 5 foot 9, isn’t that tall enough?”
I gasped as I saw Karin had climbed the tree and was facing me, “Got them!”
She climbed back then, as I hopped of Adam’s solders, “You’re like a monkey!”
“Thank you?” She replied confused by my compliment.

I soon realized there were four apples, but five of us, “Someone is not going to get one.” Tomas pointed out.

Joshua pulled out an swiss army knife; he spilt his in half, “There.”

Adam took the other half, I smiled, “Thank you boys.”

We began to rest for a while and tried to plan out what we planned to do when we reached our destination.
“Maybe we could all settle down somewhere and get jobs.”  Karin suggested.
“Lots of farms round here.” Joshua added.
Adam had his back turned as he looked ahead, “Switzerland.”
“What? Why there?” I shrieked.
“It’s not German occupied or ally occupied, its perfect.”  Adam reassured me.
Karin seemed skepitcal, “How would we get there?”
“Go through Germany and then straight on to Switzerland, I know it’s risky but it’s the only route with the least borders.” Adam explained, “I managed to arrange transport before leaving the ghettos, so we’ll travel to Germany from here then get off at Weimar.”
I glanced over to Joshua, he shrugged, “It might work.”
Karin began to panic, “If we don't get caught!”
“And you’re coming with us?” I asked.

“Yeah of course, why wouldn’t I?” Adam smiled reassured; I let out a sigh of relief as we continued our journey.

As we waited on the outskirts of the city, Karin nudged me, “So what happened?”
“What do you mean?” I replied.
“You and Adam…?”
I pouted as I folded my arms, “Oh the usual him bossing me about and kissing.”
She gasped and froze in her steps, “Wait what? Kissing!?”
I looked round fanatically, as Adam was walking not far behind with the other boys.

“Shut up! You’ll only make his head bigger!” I hushed her.
A smirk grew on my blushing face, Karin stared at me, “So how was it?”
“Lovely.” I whispered, “Don't tell him that.”
“Well I think he already does.” Karin said, “He’s like the cat that got the cream.”
“I don't want to be cream.” 
“It’s a saying.” She told me.
I laughed confusedly, “Oh well it doesn’t make much sense.”

As we approached the German border, I stared at my fake passport, it said that I was a returning German and that my name was Helga Hertz, I lived in Berlin but was originally born in Poland. So there would be no suspicions about my accent.

I began to feel physically sick. How could we pass through a country where they wanted all Jews to disappear? My mind began racing, what if we were caught and sent to a concentration camp? Or if they recongised Adam and he was taken away, how could we carry on without him?

He took my hand; I must have seemed like a sheep in the headlights, as he tried to calm me down.

“Don't blow this for us.” Joshua hissed.