Chapter Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"Brandon, you work for the FBI, you really think he would kill you?"

A few seconds went by where Brandon seemed to think about it. He didn't even think of that factor. He then looked up at Jonathan, nodding.

"He's crazy," Brandon said.

Jonathan smiled and pulled him close to himself, giving him a passionate kiss. For a moment, Brandon didn't really do anything back. He was more concerned about someone walking in. But after some time, he just relaxed and kissed him back. Jonathan leaned Brandon against the autopsy table, pressing his hand against it. He felt a hand, which he assumed was Brandon's. He intertwined his fingers with it, before realizing that the hand was smaller than Brandon's. Jonathan opened his eyes, noticing he was holding onto Penelope's hand. Immediately, he pulled away and took a few steps back. Brandon opened his eyes, wondering why Jonathan just backed out so suddenly right as the kiss was getting more heated.

"What's the matter?" Brandon asked.

Jonathan scratched the back of his head. "I think kissing in front of a dead body is not a turn on."

Brandon looked back at Penelope. "Oh. Sorry about that." He pulled the blue sheet over her face then looked over at Jonathan. "I've finished the autopsy by the way."

"That's good. Let's just wait for—"

"I'm here!" Jordan announced as she entered the morgue. Brandon cleared his throat and quickly wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

"Hello, agent Borres. May we get started?"

Jordan squinted her eyes between the two before nodding and walking over to the autopsy table. She suspected something happened, but that was none of her business. If anything, it just made everything more hilarious.

-x-

"You ok, Sarah?" Ray asked after the bell rang.

"Yea, can I just hang in here for my lunch period? Please?"

Ray was going to have lunch with Avery, but he was sure that Avery wouldn't mind that much. He nodded and sat back down in his seat. "What do you wanna talk about?"

"It's my dad," Sarah started off by saying, "he's not himself. He's more stressed and he's been obsessing over the case. I'm worried about him."

Ray let out a sigh as he knew that this would happen. Something that he couldn't control was changing another person's life. If it destroyed someone's family, then he couldn't forgive himself for that.

"Then tell him to stop working on the case," Ray said.

"Mister Hunter... that's not how it works." Sarah walked to the window, peeking out to the trees. "It's not like being assaulted or getting robbed. In those situations, you can decide whether or not you want to press charges. But in the case of someone being murdered..." Sarah frowned and turned to Ray who looked defeated. "You can't make that decision. Someone's life was taken. And I'm sure that they would want their killer to be found. To bring justice... and to prevent future victims."

Ray didn't think of it like that. Of course he wanted the killer to be found. He didn't want some lunatic on the loose. But at what cost would it take to bring him down?

"Sarah," Ray stood up and gave her a pleading look, "Please take good care of your father. It seems like right now he's unstable and can make rash decisions. And I don't want you to lose someone important in your life because of what happened to my wife." He suppressed the urge to cry in front of Sarah.