13

My dad looked hopeless.  I started at the monster in front of me.  What had he become?  

"Dad?  Where's mom?  Is she really dead?  And Dawson?  You've all been alive this whole time?"  I asked him.  I didn't care that we were standing in front of everyone.  The group is still down on their knees, in shock.  But we were safe for now.  I wouldn't let my dad hurt anyone else.  

"Your mother was killed by your people.  But, my bat, her name is Lucille.  So she'll always be here."  He said, picking up the bat and letting me examine it.  "Dawson, he's alive.  He's at home, in the sanctuary.  You can come see him."  My dad offered.  

"Who killed him?  What did you do to Daryl?"  I asked.  I left my dad and walked over to him.  His head was down.  I untied him and moved his face up towards me with my hands.  "Daryl, I promise I didn't know."  I cried.  "What did he do to you?"  I asked again.  

"I'm fine."  Daryl huffed.  I gentle kissed his forehead and looked him over.  There were newly formed scars, burn marks.  I cried for him.  "Don't worry about me.  Just get us out of here."  Daryl pleaded.  I nodded and went back over to my father.  I could't even recognize him.  He was so evil.  I felt to blame for this.  Maybe if we were never separated he wouldn't have turned out this way.  He used to not have an evil bone in his body.  I wondered what Dawson was like.  My father looked at my people on the ground and walked over to them.  He stopped at Abraham. 

"You killed my wife.  You caused this."  My dad said to Abraham.  I stared at Abraham, my mother's killer.  I didn't know what to think.  My dad lifted his bat above his head, ready to beat Abraham to death.  I couldn't let him do that.  Even if Abraham killed my mother, he didn't know. 

"Wait."  I yelled.  "Daddy, don't.  Just please, send them back to Alexandria, let them talk to them.  I want to see Dawson."  I ordered.  I was over with Daryl, a protective arm around him.  There's no way he had anything to do with my mother's death.  "No one dies, you leave us alone.  Please, daddy.  Let me fix this."  My dad nodded and motioned with his hand to take my people back home.  

"Gentle, men."  He told them.  My dad then looked at me.  "Daryl stays."  He was stern. 

"He leaves when I leaves.  And you tell me what you did to him."  I said.  I helped Daryl stand up and held his hand tightly.  The Alexandrians were in the back of the truck and I waved goodbye to them.  They knew not to put up a fight.  I still didn't know what my dad was capable of.  The men cleared out, leaving just me, Daryl, my dad, and Dwight. 

"Daddy, what have you done?"  I asked him.  

"Come on, Ro.  I'll take you to Dawson."  He simply said.  Why was he avoiding my questions?  I followed behind him with Daryl.  I looked at Daryl next to me and held his hand tighter.  Whatever my dad did to him, he wasn't going to talk about it.  It hurt me to see him this way.  It's like the beginning all over again.  I could hardly get him to talk.