YEAR SEVENTEEN

THE SEVNTEENTH YEAR they spent as much time together as the universe allowed them to.

Hands grazing at the back of the bus, sneaking through windows they barely fit through anymore, sweet words and stolen kisses, first-love but the last thought on each other's minds before they slept, Lee Felix and Seo Changbin were so consumed by the love they shared for one another that they spent every possible moment on the verge of adolesence — no longer a kid but not yet surrounded by the humdrum adult life — expressing it to one another.

It was one of the last days of July, humidity heavy in the midday air as it clung onto the folds of their shirts, their school blazers abondoned at the bottom of school bags filled with old projects that had been graded and admired and now rendered totally useless. The school was buzzing with excitement as the weight of exams had be lifted and whether expected sucess or failure, it was hard to find a miserable soul as they all busied themselves in preparing for the end of year school fair.

It was a tradition that had always kept Felix going when lessons seemed to drone on and the purpose of school seemed to be non-existent. Despite it only being one day, it was the most convival event to take place in their small town. Smiles would be contagious all around as they enjoyed the company of one another, filing their stomachs with the mouth-watering food stalls that ranged from sapid to sweet and spending their collected change on games that bought an evening of competitve yet good-natured fun.

Standing up to stretch, Felix lifted his hand to gently sweep his hair off his sweating forhead. In order to prepare for the fair the school had created various teams to which students decided which ones they would help out in. Having not taken art as a subject but still enjoying it where he could, Felix had decided to help out with illustrating the many banners required for the new stalls that year. Due to the sweltering heat that came alongside the gift of a beautifully clear sky, the group had decided to paint on the rooftoop which faced the east and gifted them at least some shade in the glaring sun.  For a moment Felix let his mind drift to Jisung, who had applied to help the catering team and wondered how they were coping with the ovens on such a hot day, sure that even Jisung's usual abundance of energy must be near to none.

Like the sky remained without a single cloud, Felix couldn't think of a single negative thought that could've clouded his mind at that moment. Looking at his hands, the blonde admired the yellow paint that had splattered across his fingertips, the vibrant colour a physical portrayal of how he was currently feeling from within.

He gazed around, watching the other students chatter away, smiles as bright as the sunshine as it shone high above. In a corner a group of girls were singing as they outlined the banner for the ice-cream stand, passionately belting the lyrics of old pop songs without a care for their pitch but simply enjoying the fun bought through reciting old lyrics they had all once loved so dearly. Their lack of care was matched with the other students scattered around the roof, for everyone was far too happy to be judgemental on such a beautiful day.

Just as Felix was observing another group of seniors in the other corner who were flicking paint from their brushes onto each other's white shirts, not caring knowing that it was the last day that they would be wearing them, he remembered something that made his heart rejoice more than it had all morning, his eyes flicking to his watch and his smile widening even further as he realised he had checked it at perfect timing.

Excusing himself as needing a toilet break, the girl he was working with hardly looked up, only nodding her head as she stuck her tongue out in concentration as she painted but looking rather flushed. He couldn't blame her, for the heat had left everyone's skin looking rather polished and hair slightly frizzed. Relieved to be welcomed with some air conditioning, Felix opened the door, relishing the cool of the stairway as he made his way down onto the third floor.