"I thought you were going somewhere?" Changbin asked, confused as to why he hadn't moved after wishing him a good first day of summer break.

Upon dawning how odd he must've looked, a small blush creeped up the paler boy's neck, tainting his ears pink, "Oh I-I'm actually waiting for someone."

"A friend?" The younger quieried curiously. Chan had many, but the road Changbin lived on was a quiet inside road which didn't seem like the best place for meeting them.

"Uh, yeah I gue--" Chan began hesitantly, the loud sound of a crash next door diverting their attention from the conversation. The noise was followed by the door swinging open, Woojin sheepishly stepping outside, looking rather smart in his dress shirt, minus the line of chocolate smeared across his cheek.

"Hey Changbin I—" Woojin  greeted, pausing once he noticed the older male standing awkwardly next to him. Eyes still twinkling in welcoming, he spoke softer but still beamed, "Oh hey Chan."

Changbin awed, "You two know each other?"

"Yep— Wait you two know each other?" Woojin asked in the same impressed tone.

"We met in the park last summer," Changbin answered happily, amazed that he could enjoy the company of his two friends together without it being awkward, "Chan was hanging out with his other friends playing basketball."

Suddenly the smile that had bloomed across Woojin's face dropped slightly, a look of hurt flashing across his face, brief enough for Changbin to miss its fleeting presence, yet strong enough to tighten the strings on Chan's heart.

"He's also my little brother's best friend," Chan rubbed his neck awkwadly, a nervous chuckle escaping his lips, "I've seriously never seen two people closer."

As soon as the words left his mouth another face popped outside the door, arms crossed over his flowery apron, glaring daggers at the older boy that were sure to have killed it they had been with any other material than his eyes.

Changbin grinned at the appearance of a flour dusted Felix. At this point the two boys had walked closer to the door, the four of them gathered around Woojin's front porch, a comfy place filled with various potted plants and vibrantly yellow armchairs.

"Why are you both covered in baking ingredients?" Changbin queried.

The adressed boys exchanged looks, a knowing grin growing on the older's face as he rested his hands on the younger's shoulders, "Felix here actually wanted help making some cookies so-"

The young boy reached up to cover Woojin's mouth hastily, ears turning the same colour as the roses decorating his apron. When Changbin's curious look didn't falter, the young boy sighed in defeat, "I mean I did, but they're not even that great and i was going to throw them out anyways so —"

Chan shrugged, moving to walk inside, "I'll eat them."

Immediately Woojin stuck a finger on his chest, pushing the boy back and taking his turn to shoot daggers, "They're not for you, fatass."

"But you said you had a surprise—"

"—The last thing I would choose is for it to be food! Y—Hey don't look at me like that. Even you know you'd eat the surprise before realising it was there!"

Ignoring their quarrel, Changbin slipped past a cross Woojin and into the familiar home, removing his shoes and quickly sneaking into the kitchen. It was a rather large room, brightened by the white appliances and huge glass doors that took up an entire wall, showcasing the admirable view of their perfectly, well-maintained garden.

The pleasant aroma of freshly baked biscuits wafted through the air, it's sweet warmth spreading through Changbin as he spotted the silver rack, quickly making his way over, mouth agape as he took in the sight.

"Binnie I told you they're not worth—" Felix began nervously, however Changbin cut him straight off.

"They're beautiful," he awed, staring at the pink icing coating the heart-shaped biscuits, carefully piped icing decorating each one uniquely. Of course they weren't perfect, some of the hearts bent in ways that made them look more circular than intended and some of the icing was definitely melting onto the rack where they had obviously been trying to finish decorating them before he got home.

"R-really?" Felix squeaked but Changbin could hear the relief in the sound, "A-actually Woojin Hyung had wanted to bake them for someone else but he suggested I made you a batch too since I had told him before how much I wanted to bake for you..."

Turning back to Felix, Changbin noticed the boy in a way he hadn't before. Noticed how small his hands that fidgeted anxiously were. Noticed how his eyes turned lighter in the late afternoon sun, a beautiful almond colour that matched his wisps of hair that had found themselves caught in its magic too. Noticed how he had grown taller, his baggy shirt making him look slim but in a way that made his breath pause for a second, the memory of it imprinting itself into his brain for the rest of his life.

Behind the rack Changbin noticed a plate filled with similar heart-shaped biscuits, except this batch was iced in a soft baby blue, as well as being a little more neatly executed, clearly the creation of Woojin's supple fingers.

As carefully as he could Changbin lifted the plate off of the counter, carrying it to the door that Felix had left ajar from when he had entered.

Through the gap, he caught sight of Chan and Woojin, who seemed to have left their quarrelling miles away despite remaining in the same place. Rather they both seemed lighter, evident in the smiles displayed on their faces, softer than excitement but nowhere near sadness. Joy? Gratitude? Everything combined and in-between? Changbin couldn't quite place a finger on it...

The desire to figure it out soon left his brain as Changbin watched Chan who no longer seemed so unsure of himself, reach up to swipe the chocolate off of Woojin's cheek. Maybe it was the sweltering hot air messing with him, but Changbin could've sworn Chan's hand remained a little longer then neces—

"Binnie?" Felix asked curiously, clearly wondering why  his friend had ran off so suddenly. Gently, Changbin placed the tray of biscuits onto the nearby table and turned around to face him. Before Changbin could even process what he, himself was doing, he brushed shaky yet careful fingers over warm smooth skin, dusting away the flour that Felix hadn't even realised had been sitting on his cheeks.

"W-what was that for?" Felix asked, the white on his face replaced by a pink tint that Changbin reasoned as to being due to the prolonged heat from all the baking.

"You had flour on your face," he shrugged, eyes scanning the floor around him, refusing to meet Felix's gaze, "Besides, they were blocking your freckles."

It turns out that in life, there weren't many temporary events which could create such permanent discoveries. However it just so happened to be that gifting, pink-iced, heart-shaped biscuits was one of them.

And it was also the case, (not that Changbin would try it any time soon) that blue-iced, heart-shaped biscuits, turned out to be quite the advantage when it came to being distracted, for nothing kept the heart busy like freshly baked biscuits in need of decorating.

____
notes
I'm posting this at midnight without completely proof-reading so apologies if it's a bit all over the place <3