My Girl

The first few weeks on the farm are a shock to my system, never having been exposed to true hard labor. None of the clothes i had packed where suitable to wear working on a ranch so Mr. Roberts took me into two to the local TSC to stock up on some flannels, jeans and cowboy boots. I cringed everyday looking at myself in the mirror, this was so not me. Even though i felt like i was being worked beyond my limits i knew they were taking it easy on me, they were up before dawn while i didn't have to go to work until nine and they didn't come back until after the sun had set where as i got to come home around three or four. Mr. Roberts told me that the work load would be easing up soon because we are nearing auction season and had to do all the extra preparation work for it.

I haven't seen much of Kwentyn since he's been so busy working, only in passing and sometimes at meals do our eyes meet and hold long enough to cause a blush to rise to my cheeks. He's grown so much since the last time i seen him, gone is the little boy that i used to run around in the dirt with and would pick me wild dandelions, in his place is a budding man. His chest and shoulders broad, a tall frame of solid muscle from all the works he puts in. Sure there where cute guys at my school but they were nothing like HIM.

Finally its auction season and Mr. Roberts is off with the cattle and horses and our work load is not longer the grueling back breaking hours that they have been the past few weeks. Im seeing more and more of Kwentyn and the long stretches of silence and awkward small talk are fading and real conversation emerging. Catching up with him after years of not seeing each other, a lot has stayed the same with him while almost everything has changed with me, my life seeming a little more exciting then his. We are spending more of our free time together instead of going our own way at the end of the day, he brings out the true laugh in me, there is always a smile on my face when I'm around him.

Im showering after coming home from work, trying to wash the day away imagining it running down the drain. Today was hot, the type of heat that clings to your like a second skin covering your body in a thin film of sweat. Drying off after the shower i leave the bathroom to go to my room in only a towel thinking I'm the only one home, I'm wrong. I almost bump into his chest as i walk out of the door.

"Ope im sorry i didn't see you there" i say backing away and pulling the towel tighter around myself.

"Its okay i was just wondering if maybe you'd like to come look at the stars with me tonight, i think you would really like it" he says, his eyes not meeting mine, but rather focused on the exposed skin that still drips with water from the shower.

"Uhh sure that sounds fun just let me go get dressed"

"Oh, yeah right" he laughs nervously his hand scratching the back of his head as he lets me step around him and scurry into my room. Dressing quickly i meet him back in the hallway, he takes my hand leading me out of the house and into the fields. I try so hard not to let this little gesture effect me, but the butterflies in my stomach are starting to feel more like elephants with the way his strong hand engulfs my small one.

He leads me through the fields into a clearing, he lays down on his back, arms going behind his head, legs crossing at the ankles making himself comfortable.

"You going to join me or just stare like a creep?" he asks a small smile playing on his lips. Thats all it takes for me to lay down in the grass beside him and look up into the night sky. The stars are bright and seem bigger then I've ever seen them before and i cant help the small gasp that leaves my mouth at the beauty above me.

"You cant see the stars like this in the big ole city you live in, too many lights blocking the view" he says matter of factly

"I know i don't think I've ever seen stars this bright and big, its so beautiful" i say and i mean it.

"Yeah it sure is" he says, and i take my eyes off of him for a split second, long enough to see that when he said that, he wasn't looking at the stars. A small blush starts to rise on my neck. Leaning up on his elbow looking at me head on.

"Im gonna kiss you" and before i can think of a rebuttal his lips are on mine, soft but demanding, giving me no choice but to follow his lead.

My first kiss.

I dont know what i thought my first kiss would be like, but this certainly passed any expectations i had. His lips coaxing mine apart, his tongue darts, not going in my mouth but licking my bottom lip, letting me know he could have if he wanted to. My breathing is erratic as he pulls his lips away from mine, i have to fight the urge to lean after him and try and reclaim his lips. My lips are tingling and I'm trying to fight the heat traveling down to my core, an alien feeling to me.

"Im gonna make you my girl one day" he says with a smile before laying back down his focus now on the shooting star above us.